Tools for tying

Anything fly tying...
Vance

Tools for tying

Post by Vance » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Hello ,Everyone, Just sitting waiting for company to come. I know it’s the first day of trout season in Jersey. I probably won’t go until next week. I was thinking what tools do you people use for fly tying? I’m sure everyone has dubbing needles(I made my own with a dowel and needle from my wife’s sewing kit), whip finisher,etc. But I’m sure most people forget one of the most important things. What is it? 220 sandpaper to get all of the little things on your fingers that always get caught on the thread. Cut a 2” square from a large sheet and sand your fingers before you start tying Just my thought for today. Bye and happy fishing. Bill the mailman

bearbutt

Re: Tools for tying

Post by bearbutt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Good point, Bill--. My dad, who taught me to fly fish, was a bricklayer and stone mason, and his hands were as coarse as shark skin. He never really learned to tie, but I can imagine that anyone who does, and spends day after day with a trowel in hand, would have a hard time getting those fingertips smooth.

bb

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Like a brick layer, being a farmer and a fly tier are close to being mutually exclusive. I usually buy Super Glue by the case and spend the winter dipping my fingers in it to keep the cracks from becoming blood weeping fissures. It holds my skin together but I lose a lot of tactile 'feel'. Without it I might as well run materials like floss and marabou over a rasp before I start tying with them.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:30 pm

My old man was a bricklayer, cement mason too. That's how I got into tying. He loved Oatman streamers but couldn't be near the floss. So I learned at pre teens to make the bodies then he'd finish the flies at his leisure...

I buy emery boards at local beauty salons. usually two sided coarse and fine.

drlogik

Post by drlogik » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:28 pm

I used to work as a gravel scraper for a paving company. All day long scraping hot asphalt up with a shovel and my bare hands left me with very thick and manly callouses. I used a Port-Cable belt sander with 120 grit sand paper to grind down the callouses. I'd got maybe 5 or 6 uses out of a belt and I'd have to change it. Once in a while a callous would tear the paper entirely off the sander!

My essential fly tying tool is a Port-Cable belt sander. Well, that and my nail puller. You know, for pulling hooks out of my callouses.
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:55 pm

drlogik wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:28 pm
I used to work as a gravel scraper for a paving company. All day long scraping hot asphalt up with a shovel and my bare hands left me with very thick and manly callouses. I used a Port-Cable belt sander with 120 grit sand paper to grind down the callouses. I'd got maybe 5 or 6 uses out of a belt and I'd have to change it. Once in a while a callous would tear the paper entirely off the sander!

My essential fly tying tool is a Port-Cable belt sander. Well, that and my nail puller. You know, for pulling hooks out of my callouses.
LOVE IT!