Woven bodies

Anything fly tying...
Alberto Calzolari

Woven bodies

Post by Alberto Calzolari » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi friends,

I was challenged recently by a question on which I have doubts. Who was in your opinion and for your knowledge the inventor of woven bodies on flies? The inventor or or the real pioneer of this technique.
Could it be Franz Pott or George Grant ? Or someone else?

Any idea?

Take care

Alberto
My web site : www.artisticflies.com

drlogik

Re: Woven bodies

Post by drlogik » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Alberto,

I don't know the answer to that but I do think that Torril Kolbu helped jump-start the interest again in those types of flies in the May 1995 issue of Fly Fisherman magazine (although hers are chrocheted). I scanned the article into a pdf on my site.

http://www.drlogik.com/scans/torill_kol ... y_1995.pdf
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:53 am

i think potts woven hair flies pre-dates grant and there is a quote from orvis marbury...."...partially woven body" that's all she says so it probably has it's origins , like so much of this sickness somewhere in antiquity.

yo

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:56 am

I know this experience doesn't go back to the initial development of woven flies but it is somewhat interesting.

In the spring of 1978, I was fishing Clark's Creek in PA and lived in Middletown, PA. Some guy was doing a number on the trout in that creek, which was a trophy area. I asked him what he was using and he showed me a woven body stonefly nymph. I said I tied flies but had never seen one like it. He suggested I see Bob Clouser(sp?) at his shop in Middletown. A few days later I did. The shop was literally a nice walk from my home. Anyway, Mr. Clouser was kind enough to show me how to tye the woven body. It is simply a series of overhand knots and switching from right to left with the threads. At least that was his way and I've since learned there are many other ways. Well, the next week, armed with my new flies, I returned to Clark's Creek hoping to catch a few of those beautiful trophy trout. Same place, same guy there and he was again killing the trout. Me? Not a touch. He told me the fly was uselss this week as the nymphs had all hatched.

It seemed that that entire season on that particular creek I was always a week behind!

PS: The following spring there wasn't much incentive to fish the area with the incident at 3 Mile Island. Another example of my poor timing. We were moving, due to new employment, on Sunday. The incident at TMI occurs a few days in advance. It actually started on Wednesday. We quickly changed our moving schedule to Saturday. Never did get to fish that area again.

Allan

redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Allan wrote:
PS: The following spring there wasn't much incentive to fish the area with the incident at 3 Mile Island. Another example of my poor timing. We were moving, due to new employment, on Sunday. The incident at TMI occurs a few days in advance. It actually started on Wednesday. We quickly changed our moving schedule to Saturday. Never did get to fish that area again.
If you get a chance to get back, it's always worth fishing. One of my favorite streams.
Bob