Hooks-Then vs. Now

Anything fly tying...
troutingintas

Re: Hooks-Then vs. Now

Post by troutingintas »

How long, whilst actually fishing does a chemically sharpened hook stay ultra sharp?
The sharp hook text is mounting the fly on your fingernail. All very good when the hook is new, but after hitting a few rocks or getting caught up in trees and grass, not to mention hooking a fish or two, the point soon looses its ultra sharpness and just like any other dull hook, it needs a lick or two from a diamond file.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

troutingintas wrote:How long, whilst actually fishing does a chemically sharpened hook stay ultra sharp?
The sharp hook text is mounting the fly on your fingernail. All very good when the hook is new, but after hitting a few rocks or getting caught up in trees and grass, not to mention hooking a fish or two, the point soon looses its ultra sharpness and just like any other dull hook, it needs a lick or two from a diamond file.
True, but isn't it nice to have it real sharp before the elements start to take their toll? ;)

I think it's a good idea to change flies after trees and rocks interfere with them anyway, not even so much for the fly but the tippet. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

troutingintas

Post by troutingintas »

Are chemically sharpened hooks worth the money just to have them real sharp before the elements start to take their toll? Personally, I think that they are worth paying a bit more for, but anglers should be aware that they soon become dull.

Are most of the used flies in your fly box still sharp?
Go to your fly box and pick out 10 flies tied on chemically sharpened hooks that you know have been used. Draw each fly across your thumbnail at a 45-degree angle, if it sticks into your thumbnail instead of sliding across it’s sharp. How many from the 10 flies passed the test?

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

troutingintas wrote:Are chemically sharpened hooks worth the money just to have them real sharp before the elements start to take their toll? Personally, I think that they are worth paying a bit more for, but anglers should be aware that they soon become dull. ...
This is an interesting question, for which the market place - buyers - ultimately determine the answer... I guess I'm just "old school" - still very happy with my remaining old Mustad hooks, who feels that the incremental cost for shining chemically sharpened TROUT hooks is/was not worth whatever incremental function is provided, real or preceived... :P

I guess I'm in the minority with Thales, and other ancient Greeks, who still believes the earth is flat :o , automobiles will never replace horses :roll: , and airplanes won't fly and are just passing fad :oops: ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed