If

Anything fly tying...
Eperous

If

Post by Eperous » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Today’s question, which cluttered my mind while on my daily trek through the neighborhood, has to do with IF.

If we didn’t fish, would we still tie flies? :?:

While I find fly tying highly therapeutic during the winter months :D , it can also be a source of frustration when I’m trying to head out the door, for a two hour drive over to the Delaware after reported rising trout, knowing I’m short a few patterns. :evil: I make no bones about it, tying to me is a means to an end. My ultimate goal is to be standing in a river somewhere with a cane stick in my hand, hopefully touching a few trout. Sometimes I think there might be members of the board that tie, far more than they fish and/or enjoy tying more - which is more than okay by me, not that anyone needs my permission. I realize that tying is also an art form also - with a rich history; a well tied fly is a treasure to look at, and doesn’t have to be a means to an end. My wife paints quite a bit; occasionally she sells some of her art, but mostly she paints because it gives her pleasure.

So my question remains, IF we didn’t fish, would still tie flies. If I were honest about this, my answer might be No. :cry:

Ed

mikevalla

Re: If

Post by mikevalla » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm

If we didn't tie flies, would we fish.....?? That's another question, too
Follow me on Twitter

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:07 pm

mikevalla wrote:If we didn't tie flies, would we fish.....?? That's another question, too
Mr. Valla, aren't you suppose to be working on your book... :)

And to answer your question, I would probably have to buy flies to fish with, something I have not done since I was a teenager...

Ed

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:22 pm

aren't you suppose to be working on your book... :)
Ha! Ed....I took :"the afternoon off."

-Just finished a big bunch of magazine assignments. Thursdays, after 9:30A.M., is "magazine assignment time."
(However, that's if I'm up and writing by 4:00 A.M. working on "the book of books," for a few hours. Then I switch gears. Have to juggle both.

Don't you feel sorry for me, Ed? Look at the Winter Issue: 3 articles---give me a break, my friend---I need a rest. :D
Follow me on Twitter

corlay

Post by corlay » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:00 pm

that's easy - "no".

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:53 pm

For me I enjoy tying as a much as fishing. I also love showing folks how to tye as much as I like showing folks how to fish. Part of my trek to the Catskill's is to watch and learn how to tye.

I also love to collect and trade tying materials from across the world.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:23 pm

I know a few guys that tye and don't fish, Ralph Graves is one, and they seem to live semi-happy lives :lol:

I have always said, "if" I had to give up all but one of the outdoor water sport recreations I love doing, tying, fishing or rod making, I would tye. I need a hobby I can do all the time, and while you can fish all the time, I only really enjoy it from spring to fall. I can tye anytime [and I do!] and I dont think I would enjoy fishing much if I couldn't be fishing with flies I tyed.

That said, I sure am glad we dont have to make decisions like that, cause I would be one unhappy dude with just the one. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

AaronH

Post by AaronH » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Ed:
There's no doubt in my mind that I would tie. I guess it's my way of staying "connected." I didn't fish at all this season, but I still spent time in front of the vise.

Aaron

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Since I tied for probably 20 years before I fly fished, if I was suddenly unable to wade or get around to the rivers, but could still use my hands and arms, yes I'd still tie.

If you mean if I never fished, had no desire to, would I still tie? Well, I know several artists who paint pictures of things they would never do and I know a lot of guys who have fantasy football teams who never played, so why not.

I remember an interviewer once asked Jack Gartside if there suddenly were no more fish in the world would he still tie flies.
Jack's answer was yes. But then Jack said a lot of off the norm things such as ( when he was really getting into computers) "Photo shop is the meaning of life."

I miss him and his sense of humor.

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Like CJ said, I'm glad we don't have to make that decision.

However, if it ever did come down to quitting fishing, I would also probably quit tying.

Tying for me is also a means to an end, as Ed said, and not an end in itself. (Especially since the relatively 'homely' looking flies that come out of my vise will never be mistaken for works of art.)

I get a real charge -- as I'm sure you all do -- of tying a decent Catskill dry -- say, a light Cahill -- and then having a fish actually take it on a cool, bright May afternoon.

I also like to noodle around at the vise and tweak a few dressings to try and come up with something that I think will work on a specific stream or stretch of water or certain 'application' (i.e., tying up something on a #8 stimulator hook that emulates big, skittering, egg-laying stoneflies.) And then actually landing a fish on that dressing provides a real rush.

I'm more or less self taught, and it took me more years than I care to count until I got even semi-proficient at tying. So it's not something I plan to give up anytime soon.

But if for whatever reason I couldn't fish anymore, then I'd most likely retire the vise as well.

-Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying