Hi-Viz winging material availability?

Anything fly tying...
troutfisher

Hi-Viz winging material availability?

Post by troutfisher »

I'm running out of fluorescent white Hi-Viz winging material and from what I can surmise, its no longer made. Nobody, including Joe Fox has it on their web sites and a search of stores came up with a blank. I found some white Hi-Viz on Ebay but there's no indication it is fluorescent. My package is clearly marked that it is.

Does anybody know of a source for Hi-Viz or a another similar fluorescent white substitute? I would think Enrico Puglisi's line is a likely source but I don't see anything listed as being fluorescent. Please help me if you can.

Caneghost

Re: Hi-Viz winging material availability?

Post by Caneghost »

The commonly available spooled Antron yarn in white was actually fluorescent white, though I cannot say if that is still the case. You may find out from one of the many shops that carry it.
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Thanks for the suggestion but I find Antron isn't stiff enough to make good spinner wings plus it holds water matting the fibers together making it difficult to keep flies afloat. A coarser, translucent bunch of fibers is needed. Incidentally, the late Dennis skarka once told me he likewise stopped using Antron for his spinner wings because it was too soft and folded along the hook shank. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

redietz

Post by redietz »

Look into DNA Frosty Fish Fiber.
Bob

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Looked into Frosty Fish Fiber. Nothing to indicate the white is fluorescent.

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

Curious why you are hung up on fluorescent material for spinner wings. I had assumed parachute posts, etc. from your original post, for enhanced visibility. Always appreciated the brightness of Antron yarn for that, and I tend toward using gray colors more closely imitative of the dun's wing color.

Puglisi's Trigger Point fibers in "spinner wing", "quicksilver" and "dark dun" colors are favorites for spinners. Fluorescence is not something I want in spinner wings, but obviously you do. I like the natural speckling with the colored TP fibers and the flies have been more productive for me. Still quite visible on the water.

I never had problems with the clear Antron yarn I used, which is softer than the spooled yarn, for spinner wings though. Perhaps you are using a larger bunch of material? Posting each wing with two circular wraps of thread at the base of each wing also helps stiffen them, regardless of material choice.

Good luck in your search.

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

I fish a lot of foam lines and the brightness of the fluorescent white makes it easier to see and track the fly among the specks of white foam. This is especially true of flies in smaller sizes like Tricos and especially true in the lower light of early morning. My eyes are probably not as good as yours and i need every bit of help I can get. Incidentally, I think that Hi-Vis is a type of Antron fiber, only stiffer (coarser) than the other stuff which makes it stand out from the hook shank better and not hold water like the softer Antron fibers do. Believe me when I tell you I have literally tried everything I could get my hands on over the years and can show you a box of synthetic winging materials that would awe the average fly tier! I really would like to find a replacement for my dwindling supply of fluorescent white Hi-Vis.

redietz

Post by redietz »

troutfisher wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:27 pm
Looked into Frosty Fish Fiber. Nothing to indicate the white is fluorescent.
I personally find it easy to see under the circumstances you're describing (foam lines.)
Bob

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

I was turned onto DNA Frosty Fish Fiber from Henry Ramsey's book Matching Major Eastern Hatches. Like i wrote previously, there's nothing indicating the white is fluoroe3scent. Besides that, I tie a unique Trico that the other materials are much better suited for. We'll leave it at that.

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

I don't know where you hail from, but one of the guys affiliated with the Catskill Fly Fishing Center had some old packs of Hi Viz at the Art of Angling Show there last November. I actually bought some tan from him, but I have no idea if he had fluorescent white. He didn't seem to have a lot of it. May have been from the Museum's stash. People bequeath their fishing stuff to them, sometimes high end things, sometimes odds and ends like tying materials. I guess it is doubtful they will have that show again this fall, as Covid doesn't seem to be going away. They are talking about re-opening the Museum though if you are local and willing to take your life in hand. I'll stay home.