Fire fly

Anything fly tying...
bear-kodak

Fire fly

Post by bear-kodak »

Hello
I seen a fly being used by Charles Fox that he called the Fire fly. I
really couldn’t see all of the fly or copy and paste it. What I could see
was it had a Golden Pheasant tippet for a wing. A search turned up nothing and I
was wandering if anyone can help me with a pattern recipe for it ?
Thanks in advance for any help.....Jim

Caneghost

Re: Fire fly

Post by Caneghost »

There is a photo of the firefly on page 83 of the Second Edition of Charlie's "Rising Trout" but I see no discussion other than the following printed as the caption. The fly looks to be tied on about a size 16 long shank hook per comparison with an accompanying photo of an ant. The hackle in the photo looks to be light, probably light ginger, palmered and clipped flat top and bottom like the jassid. Wing is feather from a golden pheasant crest, down wing style, and extends about one half shank length past the hook bend. Body is not listed but appears to be sparse dark dubbing.

Caption: "Fireflies abound for weeks on end in the meadows, some dropping in the water, where they are trapped in the surface film and thus become trout food. The imitation should present an accurate silhouette. Various feathers can be used as the flat top, and the hackle color does not seem to be important. A long shank hook makes for a good body length. The wing of the above fly is a feather from a golden pheasant crest coated with lacquer and tried in trim form. This is a great last fly of the day."

There might be a fly or two in the Charlie Fox display in the Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Museum if you are ever in Carlisle, PA. Bill Skilton might have additional information. He and his wife still sell foam fly tying materials on Ebay and I think the Ebay page showed a Facebook address but no website. Bill Skilton's USA Flies, P.O. Box 64, Boiling Springs, PA 17007-0064

Sorry I can't be of more help.
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

bear-kodak

Re: Fire fly

Post by bear-kodak »

Thank you sir