Hackle

Anything fly tying...
dazwah

Re: Hackle

Post by dazwah »

Golden grizzly is on my wish list. Hopefully soon I will have one, does it look good on the hook?

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

dazwah wrote:Golden grizzly is on my wish list. Hopefully soon I will have one, does it look good on the hook?
To true hackle nerds it doesn't matter what it looks like on a hook. It's how it looks in your hands that counts. :lol: :lol:

dazwah

Post by dazwah »

haha i do love some of the capes just because they look pretty but I try to use them as well.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

the best thing outta this post is reading about the passion we have ....but please let's remember that we are talking about dead, flat chickens.

skondolf

Post by skondolf »

I really like my Rusty smoky dun Collins hackle
Best Wishes,
Steve
><((((((*>

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

It all has a use. The quality that is available today is amazing, compared to when I started tying...which in reality really wasn't that long ago.

I love to visit Charlie Collins. Every visit is an education, and the barred, splashed, and otherwise marked hackle that he raises make for a very fine fly.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

SgtMajUSMC wrote: ... The quality that is available today is amazing, compared to when I started tying...
Ya know Tim, you raise a great point again... the quality of the hackle today, compared with what most of us probably started with years ago is just amazing... how could you not love it, no matter what the color or shade... 8-) Back then, blue dun, forget about it!!! :cry:

Here a few few old necks I probably paid $5 each for - almost top grade, back in the day... :oops: I still have a bag full of these that I used when I taught fly tying to middle school age kids, and elsewhere... but, I have to tell you, wrapping the stem on one of those feathers was like wrapping thick chennile... :roll: it just doesn't lay down, and the hackle fibers - well they would float a dry fly on a paved road, that's about it... :o probably not the best thing for a beginner to use... :cry: :oops: :cry:

Those were the days, but life seemed a bit simpler back then, good hackle or not....

Ed

dazwah

Post by dazwah »

Well here is something else to ponder, what do you think in 10 years time Hackle would be? 2' long saddles? 10" cape feathers? Higher feather counts? Thegood thing about genetics is that every generation gets better.

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Ed,

I remember those days well. Your photo brings back memories, and if I go paw through my hackle, I could come up with some similar necks from "back in the day."

I remember buying a "Photo-Dyed" dun neck, that I thought was pretty good at the time. Times sure have changed, haven't they?

It would be pretty neat to go back in time (if we could take our kit with us)...but I think that idea was already posted a while back!

Best,

Tim

Jim Slattery

Post by Jim Slattery »

Honey Dun . Dark, Medium or light. Red to light ginger tips with pale to dark dun list. Trout tested and Trout approved :D