Fly-Fest report

Anything fly tying...
catskilljohn

Fly-Fest report

Post by catskilljohn »

I got to the museum real early, and set my stuff up at the round table in the back next to the glass, I forgot my light and needed some sunlight :lol:

Jack was there, and Krul, they gave me a tour of the new bathrooms and showers, and the kitchen area. Very modern and classy, tile floors, new electric and plumbing, walls and ceilings, I could not believe how nice it looked! They are going to have a class "A" establishment over there [although I never disliked the rustic look]. I was tempted to try out Valla's new donation, but with the water not hooked up yet... :lol:

Jack put me in as "greeter" and sign up man while he had a museum meeting to attend, and some tyers started trickling in. There were quite a bit of empty spaces this year, I suppose somewhat due to the snow in the forecast. The plus side to that is, there was plenty of room for everyone to tye where they wanted, and you could move around easily. I remember in past years once you were sitting down, you couldn't leave it was so packed.

Wolfie, Mr Sgt Major and I sat together, it was a pleasure tying with my pals and chewing the fat. Before long Ronbo and Jason had the cane out, and a bunch of us were outside trying out the new tapers. Its always been kind of a tradition to include casting with the tying at Fly-fest. Ronbo's hollow Payne 102 clone really rocks, I never get tired of swinging that rod. Jason had a little 7ft'er me and wolfie loved too.

One of our members Rick [quadfish] took 3rd place in the tying contest, congrats buddy, you deserve it! Chrome chaser Allan L got 1st place, and Elmer Hopper 2nd, all 3 won a cape from Dennis at Catskillflies. It was nice to see Dennis there bright and early, we talked about grouse hunting and bird dogs, a subject I know nothing about by Dennis loves most.

Big Jim and Foxy Joe were close by, I have to keep an eye out on those 2, they are always causing a disturbance somewhere ;)

It was great to see Allan Podell again, I missed you the last few years man!

I was hoping a few more guys could have made it up, but we all have "stuff" to do, and commitments, so maybe next year.

Its nice that the museum hosts this event, they can sure use the donation in the dead of winter and it gives us bums a place to go and something to do. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

SgtMajUSMC

Re: Fly-Fest report

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

All,

Another great Fly Fest! Thanks to all who did the behind the scenes heavy lifting to put it all together!

CJ's Preston Jennings collection looks even better in person.

The Lee Wulff "Flies of the Future" were tough to put together with thread, and not solvent...great fun!

Best,

Tim

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Nice report folks, catch you next year - if not on the stream this season... ;)

Ed

skondolf

Post by skondolf »

Bummed I couldn't get there. Had about 5-8" snow fall from Friday overnight through Saturday. Lots of mess. Couldn't chance the 4-hour drive. Thanks CJ for the report. Hopefully the weather next year will cooperate.
Best Wishes,
Steve
><((((((*>

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

Nice report CJ... yes there is lots of room to walk around this time. Also a good meeting to SgtMajor.. Ah yes the 7 footer cane is a pleasent to cast.

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Wolfie,

Had a great time with you and John! Those White Wulffs were awesome...

Best,

Tim

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

Totally awesome Fly Fest!! Wow, #7 already!! I always have a blast with all you guys, and this time I walked away with a prize. I don't exactly know how that happened, but with the proper presentation, I know the judges figured my entry could catch something other than a cold...

Thanks for the good times everybody!! We ought to do it again next year....

Yer pal, Rick :lol:
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

dennis

Post by dennis »

Great report man, thanks Dennis

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

This report is nothing without photo's :lol:

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I took a couple, will post tonight. CJ