Red Quill's

Anything fly tying...
narcodog

Red Quill's

Post by narcodog »

Today I was reading MV's book on the red quill and he mentioned dying or coloring the quill. So my question is how many of you color your quills?

catskilljohn

Re: Red Quill's

Post by catskilljohn »

The only reason I would dye quills would be for olives, since all mayflies except olives have a rooster that matches them :D CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Well, I agree, there CJ but Mike says that Mary dyes or uses a red marker for her red quill's. :?: So is he trying to throw us a wild pitch?

pamike

Post by pamike »

I use olive dyed peacock eyes stripped.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

narcodog wrote:Well, I agree, there CJ but Mike says that Mary dyes or uses a red marker for her red quill's. :?: So is he trying to throw us a wild pitch?
I think its a case where the customers demand a red quill, you know, cause they think red means red, and the common Rhode Island red quill doesn't look that way. How many times have you wrapped a quill, and it looks more like a tan quill than a red one, I could see someone juicing it up with a marker. If it isnt red, that fly will sit in the bin forever.

Its like those pink Hendricksons you see in fly shops, people think they are pink, like cotton candy. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

natural red is a shade of brown. in this case the stem of a what we commonly call a reddish brown hued hackle.

many ways to make it...

john, i've seen chartreuse chickens down here near the meadowlands :)

troutingintas

Post by troutingintas »

Hello narcodog,

In very old fly recipies, where they state 'red' they mean brown, however, Flick probably called it a 'Red Quill' because he used the quill from a stripped Rhode Island Red feather.

I like the look of a fly body made with a stripped natural Rhode Island Red feather, especially if one side of the quill is coloured with a dark brown marking pen so as to give a more segmented look to the finished body.

Another alternative to dying I've come up with is to pull the quill between thumb and forefinger with some T/shirt ink. T/shirt ink is tough, it's designed to endure countless cycles in washing machines and if applied to quills, as well as colouring them, it makes them trout tooth proof.

Ted, they make a chartreuse T/shirt ink, even a fluro chartreuse, so leave those chartreuse chickens in the meadowlands alone.

Alan
Last edited by troutingintas on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

I don't dye my quills anymore--that was something Walt suggested to me quite a long time ago.He threw a dyed batch of quills at me (in fact, the photo of that gift he handed to me is in the book).

-Around 1993, when I started tying Red Quills for Winnie, and Mary, for the shop bins, they asked me to use the dyed stuff. Fine. That's what I did. Winnie and Mary were using it. I never recall--ever--Walt tying the Red Quills for the shop.Winnie liked to tie that pattern.

I think I mentioned, in the book, it was just an option to dye quills, not a choice. If you look at the Red Quill that I tied for the opening page of the Chapter, "The Catskill Dry Fly," I used a natural quill. Same with the step-by-steps. I did include a "dyed" Red Quill photo--just for mentioning the option.

-Mike
Follow me on Twitter

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

a nice pinkish segmentation body material can be made with a fiber of red macaw tail , very fragile, but really pretty...if you like and worry about that stuff.

yo