Get e'm while you can

Anything fly tying...
catskilljohn

Get e'm while you can

Post by catskilljohn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Old stock, 10 boxes to a case, and going fast. They are hard to find now, and wont get any easier in the coming years. The price is right too, at $5.00 a box of 100. CJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mustad-94840-si ... 361wt_1170
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

drlogik

Re: Get e'm while you can

Post by drlogik » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks CJ! Tempting but I just don't fish size 12's that much. If they were 14's or 16's I'd buy every box though!
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:23 pm

I am with Doc.. mostly 14, 16, 18 some 20's I use offen.. dont use much 12 unless call for it damn.. they dont make them any more? I must have miss out on the news of mustad hooks.. they are good but the new brand of mustad are not the same.

eaustin

Post by eaustin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:58 pm

God I miss those hooks. What you're used to you know. The proportions don't seem right to me on Tiemcos etc. to this day. The other thing that is killing me right now is Griff's Thin is gone. Not that I ever used glue on my Catskill dries, but it was the best for penetrating and sealing heads on wet flies and full dress salmon flies, before the high gloss coats. I bought some high gloss cement and thinner of some kind some where and it just is not the same, like the hooks. I even emailed Griff's about it. They may bring it back they tell me. I feel like these Wonder Wax users these days (never used wax myself in the old days, so I don't know. It must have been good). I think the word is despair.
Eric

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:30 pm

eaustin wrote:God I miss those hooks. ... The other thing that is killing me right now is Griff's Thin is gone. ... I feel like these Wonder Wax users these days (never used wax myself in the old days, so I don't know. It must have been good). ... I think the word is despair.

Gezzz Eric, I didn't realize Griff's was off the market... news comes slowly to this part of the Catskills, the carrier pigeons don't well in all this stormy weather of late... :cry: Still have some Wonder Wax and I also miss those old Mustad hooks like you... I have a small stash, but truly cringe everytime I finish a box/size/model hook, wondering I might have another lying around somewhere... :cry:

I guess there is some odd advantage of being old like me and wandering around this planet long enough to have tried, acquired a few small treasures... and yes, the word is "despair"... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:13 pm

eaustin wrote:God I miss those hooks. The proportions don't seem right to me on Tiemcos etc. to this day.
Its funny, when you look in the box, they all look the same, these new standard shank dry fly hooks, but when you tye with them the difference becomes apparent. The R series Mustads are almost 1X short, I guess they are saving on wire making them shorter :lol: .

I was very excited to see these for sale as like most of the things you wish were still around, like tailing feathers, good wax and Griffs[ ;) ] once the horders get them you almost never see them turn up.

Keep an eye on that seller if you do the e-bay thing, he states that his dad had a shop and they will be offering more hooks as they find them. CJ

drlogik

Post by drlogik » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:40 am

Ok, CJ, I caved in and bought a box. They will probably sit on my shelf forever though! About Griff's cement, yeah, they stopped making that stuff a couple of years ago. I never used it much when they made it but dang, now that we can't get it, it seems as though it has an almost mystical appeal to me. It is nowhere to be found either, not ebay, not anywhere. It literally disappeared!! What the heck??

I still owe you that sample of 477 yarn and haven't forgotten about you..........
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 am

I found three bottles of Griff's in Gardner, MT last Sept. I bought two thins and that left a bottle of thick. I should have bought that also.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 am

drlogik wrote:Ok, CJ, I caved in and bought a box.
Glad you did when you did, cause there is one left, he sold 6 bricks today. I knew they wouldn't last long.

They dont have to sit on the shelf either, you could turn around and double your money as soon as you get them. A 100 count bag [not even in a box] of the old style #12- 94840's just sold tonight for $11.00 + shipping. Its like money in the bank ;) CJ

drlogik

Post by drlogik » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 am

That's why I bought it.... LOL (still kicking myself for not selling my saddle hackle when tht hair style was in fashion)

Ok, so if I/me/one wants to obtain a bottle of the (now) mystical Griff's Thin or thick cement, what should I do?

Willing to trade some DrLogik's head cement for it ....
Grant
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>