The most useless fly tying material/item ever

Anything fly tying...
ted patlen

Re: The most useless fly tying material/item ever

Post by ted patlen » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:51 pm

gold beads and whip finishers.............................i'm the eternal optimist and to find that one thing that was useless is very tough. some of this stuff is useful to many but i wouldn't touch them if i had to.

the most useless i can't say but stuff i don't like....gallows tool and any tool that has more than one adjustment...and gold beads hahahahaha

this is really a tough question....like Gardner Grant once said to Eric Leiser..."what do you have that I don't need but gotta get?"

drlogik

Post by drlogik » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm not sure there's a tool or material that I hate or find absolutely useless except my own fingers sometimes....

I will tell you, though, a Renzetti Travler's vise is as close as it gets though. I "upgraded" to one of those many, many years ago after retiring my trusty Thompson vise. I never took a liking to the Renzetti. It didn't hold hooks particularly well, was unstable, too cramped and, well, dainty looking! I ultimately sold it on that auction site so I could buy a real vise...a used Dyna-King Pro that I also got off that auction site fairly cheap. I sent it to Dyna-King for a tune-up and basically got a new vise back.

I don't miss that Renzetti at all; and, when I see folks handling them in a store I am literally biting my finger to keep myself from going over to them and telling them not to buy it! Now, I do realize that some of you might have one of these Renzetti vises. If you do and you like it, you're a better man than me!

A Thompson whip finisher ranks right up there though.

These things seem to migrate to the back of the closet as well:
Rayon floss
Most non-silk tying threads (hey, c'mon, when I started tying, silk was what we used, ok?)
Any wax that isn't Wonder wax or the stuff I make myself
Dave's Flexament (does this stuff ever NOT congeal too soon???)
Tiemco hooks (I'm an admitted Mustadaholic)
Any bobbin that is not an S&M or Matarelli

Grant
Last edited by drlogik on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:12 am

I transport my Traveler between Austin and Island Park every year, and the only reason I do it, near as I can tell, is if a guest needs a vise. Like you, Grant, I was attracted to the rotary function I guess. I used it for a year, disliked it for all the reasons you mention, and went back to the Regal never to change again.

As to other "useless" tools? I must have weeded them out and gotten rid of them. I use everything that's on the desk now . . . maybe only once in a while, but if it's on the desk it gets used. Well . . . there is a set of brass wing burners somewhere that haven't been used in maybe 20 or so years.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:33 am

To add to this...

Mylar tubing ... still have it if anyone wants it. :D

and my awesome, terrific battery powered hook sharpener. This was always great conversation piece with Eric. :lol: :lol:

It's about 30 years old and it still works!!

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:01 pm

>>This was always great conversation piece with Eric.<<

Yup, John's right. My typical "conversation" began with something like "I don't <expletive> believe you're using that sillya** thing. All you really have to do is crush the barbs -- not grind them off."

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:06 pm

ewpeper wrote:>>This was always great conversation piece with Eric.<<

Yup, John's right. My typical "conversation" began with something like "I don't <expletive> believe you're using that sillya** thing. All you really have to do is crush the barbs -- not grind them off."

Eric
That was before the mini barbs, and it had a lovely sound.. Like the dentist. :lol: :lol:

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm with the instant glue vote - Zap-A-Gap, Superglue, etc., for tying trout flies. If you can't get your material(s) to stay in place on the hook with thread, you shouldn't use it/them........I rarely use head cement for that matter.

Matt

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:16 pm

SgtMajUSMC wrote:Good question! Nymphforms-those little die cut, plastic nymph underbodies. Swannundaze. Plastic JC as already mentioned.

This crap is almost as hateful, and useless (in my opinion) as "no-knot" eyelets!
Funny I hate the plastic Nymphforms but the metal ones are great. The flaw I find with the plastic are their lack of rigidity.

I feel many products get a bad rap when they often do not deserve it. Often I find people do not use them as designed or directed. Many are simply one trick ponies. That being said, there are quite a few items that do not hold up to their own claims or intentions, like the plastic Nymphforms.

Light weight hair stackers are something that I'm not a fan of. I like a nice heavy stacker for two reason. One, the extra weight puts more energy into the hair to quickly stack the tips. Two, because of the extra weight, I do not need to tap the stacker as hard. This keeps the hair from bouncing too much and becoming unaligned. A light weight stacker will still do the job, but I just view it as a poor design.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Matt Grobert wrote:I'm with the instant glue vote - Zap-A-Gap, Superglue, etc., for tying trout flies. If you can't get your material(s) to stay in place on the hook with thread, you shouldn't use it/them........I rarely use head cement for that matter.

Matt
Yeah, but it's absolutely essential for tying those "foam sandwich" flies like the Chernobyl Ant. :lol: :roll:

Eric

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:30 pm

ewpeper wrote:
Matt Grobert wrote:I'm with the instant glue vote - Zap-A-Gap, Superglue, etc., for tying trout flies. If you can't get your material(s) to stay in place on the hook with thread, you shouldn't use it/them........I rarely use head cement for that matter.

Matt
Yeah, but it's absolutely essential for tying those "foam sandwich" flies like the Chernobyl Ant. :lol: :roll:

Eric
Maybe Eric... but it is very useful for small Conehead Woolly Buggers and John Barr's Slumpbuster... ;)

Ed