Spinner tails

Anything fly tying...
Eperous

Re: Spinner tails

Post by Eperous » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:18 am

narcodog wrote: ... I tye very few of them ... I'll tell you how many I tye. I have had a combo package for at least 10 years and I have plenty left.
Bob,

Sounds like we tie/fish about the same number of spinners? :| Maybe the question should be asked what spinners do folks tie/fish most, as opposed to what do they use for tails? :geek: For the most part, I use/tie #16 & #18 mahogany spinners that have come in handy on the Delaware tailwaters in late summer, else I can get by w/o these... ;) How about you? :?:

Ed

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:26 am

Ed, mahogany spinners is all I really fish with also, mostly out west. The other is the Coffin fly, I tye them like the Dette's though.

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:35 am

I fish a lot of Rusty Spinners, from #12 & 14 for Hendricksons & smaller sizes for the summer bugs. I also keep a assortment of sulphur spinners, Mahogany for Blue Quills and a few for the big bugs Iso, March Brown, Coffin, Brown Drake, etc.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 am

Spinners are a mainstay for me all summer beginning with the larger PMDs (16 and 18) on to flavs (14) and green drakes (10) and ending with the tinies; smaller PMDs (18-22) and trikes (22). I use a single fibbet on each side for most down to 16, Coq d'Leon fibers tied spread for the smaller ones, and I still have a modest stash of incredible pale dun spade feathers from a Herb Miner neck, if I feel really expansive about using some. Most all of the flies down to 18 are tied with rust colored biot bodies. The little guys mostly get quill bodies.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Any of you guys tried snowshoe?Works great!! Also for the wing.Just change body color as needed.

Cdc also works well for small olives and tricos but takes to much primping when dusk is turning into night

Tom

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Well I must admit that I unknowingly perjured myself on this topic of spinners, but I blame the time of my post at 1:18 AM… :? couldn’t sleep last night, and then after I posted my response above--- that’s all I thought about… :o here’s are the facts; all of them… :roll:

First, I do tie #16 & #18 mahogany spinners that I always carry with me… BUT, I also have four 4¼ x 3¼ x ¾ plastic fly boxes that I only use on the East & West Branches of the Big D… they are all cdc patterns with a #18 being large running down to 20, 20, & 24’s… one box is for Sulfurs, one from Trico’s, and two for BWO--- olive and darker mahogany for late summer/early autumn… I have spinners in these boxes… mostly microfibetts, but the Sulfurs are tied with thin strands of z-lon…

Secondly, I can recall a few times on the water, most notably at Big Bend Pool on Esopus Creek and Cairns on the Beaverkill, where I trimmed down a hackled dun, or even comparadun, to create a spinner… :geek: often that “trimming act” was the difference between no fish, and a trout… since I never caught many trout this way, but most often just escaped “Dodge City” with a single trout in the day’s log, I’m not sure the preponderance of evidence suggests this is a very good “spinner approach”… :|

Finally, this last act might be the most egregious offense… :oops: “in the day” the Jersey Boys and I would often plan a fishing outing on the Beaverkill the last weekend in May, first in June, to coincide with the fabled Green Drake hatch… :D being brash and bold, we never tied/nor fished any of Mary Dette’s noted Coffin flies… no, instead we would flog the water with #8 & #10 Ausable Wulffs in our attempt to “match the hatch/spinner fall”… :o and, we caught trout, my best being a 19” rainbow down below Horton, up above the Sunoco Station… our success was attributed to pocket water…

Much has been written about Art Flick and his flies on this bulletin board of late… In The Masters on the Dry Fly, Flick sings the praises of fishing pocket water in Chapter 10… and, if memory serves me correctly, I think Art also downplayed the need for spinner patterns in his classic, Streamside Guide

Thus this true confession is laid out there before the public eye and it is my hope that if the SGM moderators turned a blind-eye to Grant’s comments about Mepps spinners, they will give me a pass also…

Till spinners fall… ;)

Ed

eaustin

Post by eaustin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:24 pm

I've almost always used microfibbets, assuming a split tail. The stiffness just seems to float the fly better, and I can get a bigger split, which also floats the fly better. I've done them both ways at times and have settled on the microfibbets. They're just easier.
Eric

squish67

Post by squish67 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 am

May have a few "spinners" kicking around the box, but have been using a brown parachute in various sizes for many years when they are feeding to spinners. If nothing else I take more fish that way because I can actually see where the fly is! :D If I really want to play dirty I use one of Dud Soper's flats (from less than dime size on up) tied with a red quill, peacock quill or ginger quill body. Go back and forth between spade hackle and microfibbets for the tails. If I want split tails or the fly is small I am more likely I am to use microfibbets, but the parachutes and flats don't really need the extra support of the split tails, and it is quicker to tie with a single spade hackle tail. For Trico's it is an all black or dark moleskin or muskrat parachute with micorfibbet tails, or a quill abdomen, black thorax parachute with microfibbet tails. Tiny Olives ditto, except, of course, they are olive. :lol:

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:18 pm

it is difficult for me to wait for the spinners to show up. for me it is the most tantalizing time...

just the atmosphere around it....comfortable temperatures, little wind, the nose of a large trout, rapid and precise presentations, trying to beat the fading light, and the ever present anxiety when the spinners get to about 1 foot from the surface but THEN DON"T FALL!!!

is there a better time, more consistent time?

mahogany spinners are always in my box and of course when expecting a certain insect the proper flies..coffins, sulphurs etc.

tapered nylon fibers from a paint brush most of the time

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 am

I agree Ted. There is NO rise like a spinner rise; just the upper jaw breaking the surface, the white mouth, a tiny bulge and swirl, then nothing . . . but you can hear it! Love stalking those rises.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich