Dette Waxed Thread

Anything fly tying...
Joe Fox

Dette Waxed Thread

Post by Joe Fox »

Some of you know about the waxed thread we use in the shop. Years ago Walt modified one of the wax formulas and prewaxed all the tying thread they used. The wax is similar to the Leisenring formula and contains rosin. The rosin on the thread gives it some real bite, making each wrap of thread much more effective.

Next Sunday I will be restocking our supply of our waxed thread and wanted to offer the thread to forum members.
I'm charging $2.50 waxing fee to each spool of thread, that is $2.50 on top of the price of the thread. It seems like a lot but the process to run a spool through the wax is very time consuming along with setup. More importantly it is a very unpleasant process dealing with the melted rosin and I can't say I enjoy it much.
Since this is very last minute I can only offer thread I have instock. Normally I would let you mail me the thread you wanted waxed, but I have till Thursday till I head to NJ for the Somerset show, then to Long Island to do the waxing.
Almost all of our fly tying is with white thread, so that is what I would suggest, but if you want to play around go ahead.
There is one more thing. The machine we use to wax the thread is quite old. Although it is fairly simple to use it does from time to time break. It is not always simple to fix because the parts usually have to be made and that can take some time, and for some odd reason it only happens when we use it. If that happens I will have to reschedule this whole ordeal. I will not take any money from anyone till the thread is ready because of this uncertainty.

In the below picture is a spool of Uni 6/0 that has been waxed. It greatly darkens the thread, but when removed from the spool lightens, notice the lighter section that was pull off and put back on.
Waxed Uni 6/0 - White
Waxed Uni 6/0 - White
DSC_0003.JPG (354.2 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
If you would like to partake, there is a list of the instock thread, along with the price, before waxing.
Uni 8/0 - $2.75
White, Fire Orange, Wine, Dark Brown, Fl Orange, Yellow, Gray, Iron Gray, Dk Gray, Lt Olive Dun, Red, Camel, Lt Cahill, Orange, Brown, Primrose, Tan, Dun, Olive Dun, Rust Brown, Black

Uni 6/0 - $2.75
Chartreuse, Orange, Silver Doctor Blue, Royal Blue, Rusty Brown, Olive, Lt Olive, Lt Cahill, Olive Dun, Black, White, Yellow

Uni 3/0 - $2 each
Yellow, Olive, White, Black, Red

Uni Big Fly - $3 each
Yellow

Danville Fly Master - $1.75
White, Pale Yellow, Orange

Giorgio Benecchi 12/0 - $3.75
Black, Lt Dun, Red, Dark Dun, Dark Brown, Sandy, Brown, Green, Olive, Tobacco, Yellow, White, Orange

Pearsall's Gossamer Silk - $4.50
White, Straw, Primrose Yellow, Lemon, Amber, Gold, Purple, Black, Gray, Golden Yellow, Scarlet, Cardinal Red, Dark Claret, Olive Green, Brown, Highlander Green, Hot Orange, Light Olive, Java Brown, Antique Gold, Classic Chestnut, Jasper, Salmonberry, Claret

corvus

Re: Dette Waxed Thread

Post by corvus »

Joe,

Put me down for 2 each Uni 8/0 White and UNI 6/0 White

Let me know how to reimburse you.

Corvus (aka: Al Gustaveson)

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Ha, Joe I have been waiting three years for this. I'll take a spool of white and black 8/0. Thanks,

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

We can figure out payment once everything is ready. Credit card, Paypal or a check are all fine, but again I want to get the thread waxed before I worry about it.

Frequenttyer

Post by Frequenttyer »

Hi Joe, I can't miss this! Please put me down for 2 Uni 8/0 white and 2 Uni 6/0 white.
Thanks,
Mike.

The Novice Returns

Post by The Novice Returns »

Joe, please reserve me uni 1white 1black 1tan 1orange 8/0 1white 1black 1tan 1orange 6/0 Thanks, Bill
Last edited by The Novice Returns on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Joe Fox wrote:There is one more thing. The machine we use to wax the thread is quite old. Although it is fairly simple to use it does from time to time break. It is not always simple to fix because the parts usually have to be made and that can take some time, and for some odd reason it only happens when we use it.
That's a good one! I had a customer tell me last week something I heard a hundred times...

I went to use my wipers and they didn't work, and it was raining so hard I couldn't see, what a time for them to break! I told her they were probably already broken, but you dont turn them on when the sun shines :lol:

If need something when it breaks Joe, let me know. You know the turnaround would be short at least ;) CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

catskilljohn wrote:

That's a good one! I had a customer tell me last week something I heard a hundred times...

I went to use my wipers and they didn't work, and it was raining so hard I couldn't see, what a time for them to break! I told her they were probably already broken, but you dont turn them on when the sun shines :lol:

If need something when it breaks Joe, let me know. You know the turnaround would be short at least ;) CJ
I was hoping someone would catch that. :)

mvalbano

Post by mvalbano »

Hi Joe,

I'll take the following...

2 UNI 8/0 White
2 UNI 8/0 Black
2 UNI 6/0 White
2 UNI 6/0 Black

Thanks so much,
Mike

redietz