Tiemco 102Y

Anything fly tying...
catskilljohn

Tiemco 102Y

Post by catskilljohn »

Anyone use/like/dislike these? I saw a few boxes of them at the show, and was compelled to buy them. I dont know if its the salmon fly tyer in me that was attracted to the finish, or the odd sized numbering designation but I would love to have a "new hook" option to tye on. Thanks, CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Bamboo&Brookies

Re: Tiemco 102Y

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

Looks like a variation of their standard dry fly hook (TMC 100) with a wider gape and black finish. Nice looking hook.

Don't tell me you're coming over to the dark side now and starting to tie on TMC's!

You can really break the bank on them, with the prices they're asking! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

John,

I like them, and have been using them for a few years.

I really like to tie soft hackles/flymphs on them.

Yes, the "odd" sizing is interesting, too. Doubt it makes any difference, but it is a novelty, I guess.

I just finished a Tups Swap, and that was the hook I used. I guess my only concern was the dark hook, with such a light pattern. I've fished the same pattern/hook combo before-the trout never seemed to mind.

See you at Fly Fest!

Tim

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

I bought 2 packs of Saber Dry fly hooks at the Fly Shack booth yesterday, B&B put me up to it! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think I was cutting into my daughter's inheritance @ $7.00 / pack!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need a different hook too, cheaper!!!!!!!!!

-Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

cj,

they're wonderful and historically for us catskill guys....harry and elsie used to tie their flies on the odd # hooks...they used a 13 for a 12 etc....

good hooks

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

I'm new to the board and didn't expect to be posting so soon, but I use this hook a lot. I was introduced to it by Hans Weilenmann who ties his CDC & Elk on it. I've had some difficulty finding the #21 so I usually stock up when I find them. I believe the 103BL is the barbless version, or at least close enough for me.

richard

dennis

Post by dennis »

catskilljohn wrote:Anyone use/like/dislike these? I saw a few boxes of them at the show, and was compelled to buy them. I dont know if its the salmon fly tyer in me that was attracted to the finish, or the odd sized numbering designation but I would love to have a "new hook" option to tye on. Thanks, CJ
CJ,

That's all I ever used ( TMC's ) when I worked at our local flyshop. No complants, they were cheap with my discount :lol:

Still have a few somewhere. Why don't you tie a few and post what they look like, then we can see if there the "new hook" option to tye on. ;)

Dennis

rich t

Post by rich t »

Good hooks. I like the wide gap.
Rich T