Hooks Question

Anything fly tying...
82manyflies

Hooks Question

Post by 82manyflies »

Ive noticed on this site that most use mustad hooks and know their favorite sizes and hook# at drop of a hat - Myslef I have always just bought whatever are in the fly shops.....Can anyone tell me why they like mustads rather than other brands? Does anyone here prefer hooks other than mustad?

I googled up a mustad sizing chart - and understand the differ sizes types etc. although cant tell what the fly sizes would be - can anyone tell me which mustad I would need for the following sizes (as these are what I normally tie):

Dry - 12 14 16 18
Nymph - 12 14 16
Caddis Pup/Scud - 14 16
Streamer - What is a good size for classic catskill & zonker type streamers - (just now getting into tying and putting a streamer box together)

I know this is a loaded post - hope I get responses that can help me understand this once and for all - if I'm going to attempt to tie quality flies I suppose I should have a good quality hook under the skirt.......

Tks for the help on this,
Matt

82manyflies

Re: Hooks Question

Post by 82manyflies »

ok - think i figured out my fly size question - they hooks are all diff types - then you can order the diff fly sizes for each type - but can anyone answer my other questions? Are there some favorite mustad types out there for the fly sizes I like to tie?

Tks Again
Matt

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I will speak for myself, but I am pretty sure many feel the same way I do.

I like them because to me, they are the classic hook that was commonly used from the 50's till around the 80's, give or take a few. Many of the more experienced tyers here grew up with them, and because all hooks vary slightly, once you become accustom to the hook brand it feels "funny" to tye on another. Mustads are very Catskill, at least I feel they are :D

As for your questions, there are alot of opinions on what hooks are best suited to what flies, but to put you in my ballpark...

Dries, 94840. A standard shank, regular wire classic bend, just a great hook for wood duck and RI red quills to be attached to.
Wets, 3399 or 3906. Sproat bend, heavy wire, another classic hook. Darbee's used 7957B's which are round bend, I am actually loving these hooks lately. I saw you didn't list wets, but remember, before there were "emerger" patterns, a wet fly was the emerger. [it still is, just not used by most]
Nymph, 9671 or 9672, these are similar to the 7957's but a little longer, also round bend.
Caddis pupa/scud hooks? These would have been tyed on whatever hooks the popular flies were tyed on, as they were not common patterns back then. There are a few obscure hooks, like the 37160 that has a scuddish bend, but again, these are obscure and the newer hooks have a much better selection.
Streamers, 3665A for a limerick bend, or the 79580 in a round bend.

Todays hooks are of good quality, and are way easier to find and purchase when your stock gets low. Something that you may find a challenge when you collect older hooks is, they are not everywhere. Mustad discontinued many of the old numbers [but replaced them with similar hooks which are fine!] I simply just enjoy tying on and fishing with vintage stuff, like many do. One thing thats glaringly obvious with old hooks is the mighty barb. Back then, culling fish was normal, and the big barb ensured a hooked trout stayed hooked. Todays hooks boast micro barbs, or no barbs at all, which in our catch and release world makes alot of sense.

Everyone still pinches barbs, but the newer microbarbs are easier on fish than a pinched older hook.

Good luck on your search, I hope others add some ideas too. CJ

Corrected, thanks Allan!
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

82manyflies

Post by 82manyflies »

Thanks CJ this is exactly what I was looking for in a response...understand...I'm sure a few are shaking their heads at me but the only way to learn is to ask questions...thanks for your reply and honest answer....

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

82manyflies wrote: ...I'm sure a few are shaking their heads at me but the only way to learn is to ask questions...
Don't ever think that... ask an honest question and hope someone can respond with an honest answer... that's a main function of this bulletin board, IMO... and, that's how we all learn... I'm amazed at some of the things I learn here...

Ed

Allan

Post by Allan »

Hi,

Allow me to add a couple of things to what John wrote. Aside from 'growing up' on Mustads, I think they are more then simply adequate. For many years I tyed 000s of flies with another 'known' brand because that's what the shop wanted. I did a test one day and proved, at least to myself, that the Mustads were a better hook. Possibly up to the year 2000, more trout were caught on flies tyed with Mustads then all other hooks combined. Also, don't let anyone snow you that Mustads are not sharp! I've got the punctures to prove otherwise. Now John mentioned hooks for nymphs. It was probably just an oversight but he did not mention the Mustad 3906B(xlong, xheavy, sproat bend). I believe he had a typo when he wrote the model for streamers. It's actually the 79580. As for larger dry flies( 10 & 12) I often will use a model 94833(xf wire) and for longer bodied dry flies the 94831(xl).
Certainly the cost is a consideration and I do not see any advantage with any of the other brands. However, there are probably just as many fly tyers or fly fishermen who will swear that 'brand x' or 'brand y' is far superior to any other brand and will not use a fly tyed on any hook other then their preference. All this stuff with the choices we have today is very confusing and entertaining :lol:

Allan

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

Let me answer the question in another way.We used mustads because they were a good hook readily available and CHEEP.Many other fisherman constantly criticized them at the time but now I geuss those people have died off as I don't hear much except praise for them.They are still a good hook but not so cheep anymore.I was nearly floored when looking at the hook prices in a fly shop the other day in Mountain Home.I am so glad that I stocked up years ago.

P.S. could any board members spare a box of 18 dries.This is the only size I am running out of. Possible purchase or trade of something I have.

Tom

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi, As Allan wrote Ilike for dries 94833 and for nymphs the 71and the 72 forgot the first two numbers. For years I used Herters hooks but Herter went out of bussiness.. I still have some herter's and use them once in awhile when I feel like tying up some dries...Vance

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

upstatetrout wrote:P.S. could any board members spare a box of 18 dries.This is the only size I am running out of. Possible purchase or trade of something I have.
Tom
Tom, send me your address, CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

82manyflies

Post by 82manyflies »

Wow - Wealth of good info here - going to print this thread out (no pun inteded) and take some notes..I agree the mustads even look like a better hook - think I am going to start stocking up - Thanks so much for all the responses very very useful info here!

Thanks Guys,
Matt