Hooks Question

Anything fly tying...
drlogik

Re: Hooks Question

Post by drlogik » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:32 am

Mustad is what I've always used and is what I use 90% of the time. They have never let me down. I have a strong stash of old Mustad hooks that will outlast me. For North Country Spider patterns I do use Sprite (#1 choice) or Partridge though.

Grant
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

eaustin

Post by eaustin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:02 am

In the early '60s when I started tying I thought of the Mustads as the "premium" hook. I never once thought of them as cheep or cheap, either one. I think I was comparing them to Eagle Claw at that point, can't remember. Later on they became the less expensive option, certainly, but back then, at least in my mind, they were the Lexus of hooks. To this day I have trouble with the notion that a Catskill dry fly should be tied on anything else, but times change. Good news is, I don't have to!
Eric
Eric

shakey

Post by shakey » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:24 pm

whereas i do prefer mustad first and eagle claw second,i tye on anything i get my hands on.

i think eagle claw has some of the best non-mustad hooks.honestly.people get the old image of snelled baitholder hooks from walmart in their head and won't let go,but i like the american made quality of their modern hooks.

shakey

Post by shakey » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:10 pm

of course my heart goes with mustad 3906 and 3399 :)