Yallerhammer

Anything fly tying...
klingon

Yallerhammer

Post by klingon »

I purchased a yellow dyed starling skin to substitute for flicker hackle in the smokey mountain yallerhammer pattern. The skin I received actually picked up very little yellow coloration and I'm not happy with the results. I have never fished the yallerhammer pattern since I live and fish mostly in the northeast but it looked interesting and I would like to try it. Any suggestions regarding what to try next to substitute for flicker ?

"If you would catch more trout--you must kill less"

redietz

Re: Yallerhammer

Post by redietz »

Are you interested in the dry or wet version? For the latter, I've seen yellow-dyed hen sparely palmered, and trimmed.

You might also try dying your own from partridge or grouse.
Bob

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I have done this very thing with starling secondaries, bleaching them and then dying yellow, then dying the tips black. I since found a better alternative...magpie wings. They are primarily white with black tips, so simply dying them yellow does the trick. To me, the thing that stands out the most with flicker feathers is the bright yellow shaft, or stem.

This fly to me was always one of those "confidence patterns" that could be tyed with anything and still work, but when tyed right gives you the confidence that it works better.

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Look here for some subs. http://www.davidsonriveroutfitters.com. He uses dove for his sub. They are located in Brevard, NC

Squaretail

Post by Squaretail »

The one time I tied it for someone fishing that area I used dyed partridge body feathers trimmed down. Probably not the best but it was acceptable.
"A man may go fishing his entire life without realizing it is not necessarily the fish that he is after" - Thoreau

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

klingon wrote: ... I have never fished the yallerhammer pattern since I live and fish mostly in the northeast but it looked interesting and I would like to try it. ...
I've never tied/fished this pattern either, but I've read about it before and perhaps should join you in trying it... good luck...

Ed

bassman

Post by bassman »

I did some search on the fly and the site I was looking at had about 6 variations. Everything from the rather ugly original to nymphs and soft hackles. Kind of makes it rough to single out which one you're talking about with so many out there. Being one of those who believe fish are only fish, a Yellow Sally would probably do the same job.

AK Skim

Post by AK Skim »

Guide Ian Rutter's book on Smoky Mountains Yallerhammer

Roger Lowe's Fly Patter Guide

AK Skim

Post by AK Skim »

Yallerhammer

Fly purchased at Little River Outfitters Fly Shop, Townsend, TN.
Last edited by AK Skim on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

AK... thanks for the update and info on this pattern and the Smokies... The GSMNP is truly a special place on the east coast; my wife and I were there once and often think about a return trip...

Ed