Guild Vol 1 Mary Dette DVD

Anything fly tying...
drlogik

Re: Guild Vol 1 Mary Dette DVD

Post by drlogik »

Because they were published under the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild, ownership "should" belong to the Guild, not necessarily who filmed it. It would be best, though, to find out who all was involved with making the DVD and get their buy-in. Replicating DVDs is not hard but to do it right and make it look good needs more of a professional touch and equipment. Because the graphics are pretty much plain-Jane I wouldn't think it would cost all that much either.

And, yes, I think it could be a nice little revenue stream for the Guild.

Grant
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I sent some e-mails out this morning to get the ball rolling on this DVD. It seems to me, like Grant mentioned, that this could be a nice seller for the Guild. I would also think the Guild has a "master copy" on hand they could use. [Bud is probably chuckling right now!]

Is it just me, or does it seem like every time Valla puts out a new book there is a sudden resurgence of Catskill fly tying interest? :D

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Allan

Post by Allan »

Joe Fox wrote: The most important person to get permission from is the person who owns the rights to the footage, most likely whomever filmed it. Beyond that, having permission from anyone who was filmed is never a bad idea.
Hi Joe,

I haven't looked at my copy in awhile but I am very sure that Ken was not the person who did the videotaping of the demonstration(s). In fact, I believe there are 3 different demonstrations on this dvd. I really should view it again. I'll add that the long demonstration on the tape is Mary's demonstation at the Rockland House. I recall that because Mark Romero and I were right up front andtogether we asked her a couple of questions. One was about the thread. Anyway, I'm fairly certain that it was not Ken who taped that event. I don't recall the guys name who I believe taped it, but if I heard the name I'd remember it. He was a Guild member who had worked in TV if that helps. Just remembered his name - Peter Heller (I think.).

Also, I am sure because I was present, that when we(the Guild) discussed how many copies to make, the Guild voted to authorize copying a specific number and that additional copies could and would be made at a later date if we sold out. It was reported at the meeting that we(the Guild) had been given authority by Mary to use the 'master copy' as we(the Guild) saw fit for fundraising. This information should be in the minutes of one of the meetings pre-dating the making of the actual DVD and copies.

PS: Ken K was given the tapes that were made and he put them together, edited them, and made the initial number of copies.

Allan

Allan

Post by Allan »

catskilljohn wrote: Is it just me, or does it seem like every time Valla puts out a new book there is a sudden resurgence of Catskill fly tying interest? :D

CJ
Hi CJ,
Yes. It's you. There was a resurgence when Catskill Rivers came out. Same with The Beaverkill and again when Land of Little Rivers came out too. And lest you forget, don't you recall when the magazine Fly Tyer had an article asking, 'Is the Catskill Fly Obsolete?' (or something like that). It sparked a whole lot of interest and controversy. In fact, I ended up writing a letter on behalf of the Guild to the editor based on an internet survey. That letter was published and the editor (Klausmeyer) wrote in a following editorial that the article raised a lot of interest. So NO! I think anytime a quality book, like this new one by Mike Valla, or event identifies the Catskill rivers, flies or history, it sparks an interest, renewed or otherwise. And that's a good thing.

Allan

flymank

Post by flymank »

Hi folks,flymank here.as the chairperson for the major shows that the guild does in sommerset I can say without question that Mary's dvd is very much sought after by folks I talk to at the shows and I am confident that I can move a good number of them(25-50)easily.NOTE; the guild should look into making more of these dvd's featuring other tyer's such as teddy,cj,joe,allan and others I'm not thinking of at the moment.How about a instructional dvd on the making of the catskill flies(drys,wets,streamers,ect..)perhaps with some historical commentary included?-just my 2 pennies worth-flymank out

Allan

Post by Allan »

flymank,

Just in case you didn't know, there's at least one other DVD that was made by the Guild that I know of and I have a copy of it. Here's the information on the back cover:
"Catskill Fly Tyers Guild Presents - Fly Tyers Volume 2 - A GUILD SAMPLER" (2009)

SCENE SELECTIONS:
Disc 1:
Larry Duckwall - Red Quill
Agnes Van Put - Brown Stonefly
Bob Osburn - Usual
Bill Leuszler - Dubbing Techniques
Ralph Hoffman - Green Wisp
Disc 2:
Dave Brandt - American March Brown
Tom Mason - Biggun (Gr. Drake/March Brown)
Dave Pabst - Orange Cahill
Ralph Graves - Extended Body Green Drake
Keith Fulsher - Thunder Creek Fly
Allan Podell - Dark Cahill
Ken Zadoyko - Black Stonefly
Additionally, there are some commercially available videos by Guild members Dave Brandt and Ralph Graves.

Allan

flymank

Post by flymank »

Yes allan,I am aware and have a copy of the second dvd.Interestingly it does not sell well at the shows.flymank out

Allan

Post by Allan »

What was the selling price of these two videos at the shows?

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

I will be spending the weekend with Ken and his lovely wife Mitoko and will let him know about this thread.

Tom

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Tom,

I am going up this weekend, I would like to see you also ;) CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"