March Brown Dun

Anything fly tying...
ewpeper

Re: March Brown Dun

Post by ewpeper »

Eperous wrote:
wiFlyFisher wrote:Paul Weamer - provides the Latin name of Western March Browns up front, first page -

Ed
Hmmm . . . that'd be a Rithrogena, if I'm not mistaken. :-)

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

dennis

Post by dennis »

wiFlyfisher, a few years ago FFM done a artical by Schwiebert called "March Browns". Outstanding story about the history of the insect and a day on a Pocono stream he cherished alot. After reading that artical I went out and bought "Matching the Hatch" and took that 1970 copy(I still have it)
everywhere I fished. I still tie alot of patterns including the seneomema vicarium or whatever you bug nuts :D call them today using Ernie's book.
The artical was in the May/June issue 1982.

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

dennis wrote:wiFlyfisher, a few years ago FFM done a artical by Schwiebert called "March Browns". Outstanding story about the history of the insect and a day on a Pocono stream he cherished alot. After reading that artical I went out and bought "Matching the Hatch" and took that 1970 copy(I still have it)
everywhere I fished. I still tie alot of patterns including the seneomema vicarium or whatever you bug nuts :D call them today using Ernie's book.
The artical was in the May/June issue 1982.
I don't remember the article, but I have the book and remember it well. He had a chapter on fishing my favorite Wisconsin stream during an ISO hatch in July.

For years, I have carried Caucci & Nastasi's Comparahatch pocket guide in the back of my vest. The older I get the harder it is for me to remember if certain bugs at certain stages have 2 or 3 tails for identifying them. The book helps take care of my many brain freezes.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ewpeper wrote:
Eperous wrote:
wiFlyFisher wrote:Paul Weamer - provides the Latin name of Western March Browns up front, first page -

Ed
Hmmm . . . that'd be a Rithrogena, if I'm not mistaken. :-)

Eric
Eric,

While I don't have the magazine in front, or near me, I would have to say CORRECT --- which I thought was odd since the article was on Eastern March Browns, including the Catskills... :roll:

I still have not read it yet, but will soon enough... :|

Ed

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

dennis wrote:wiFlyfisher, a few years ago FFM done a artical by Schwiebert called "March Browns". Outstanding story about the history of the insect and a day on a Pocono stream he cherished alot. After reading that artical I went out and bought "Matching the Hatch" and took that 1970 copy(I still have it) everywhere I fished.
Dennis, I first acquired a brand new 2nd edition copy of this book 45 years ago... it's tattered, worn - a bit like me, with a binding that is split from being open/read/and used so much... :o at one time, this WAS the Bible for me... :D if Ernie said it, I tied it... ;) if two flies were almost identical, but one used tan thread and the other brown, I had them both... :oops: no more though, still a great book with lots of fond memories, especially page 179 and his Epeorus Nymph, the only fly I still tie from it... I just wish I still had the dust jacket to my book... that said, when my family eventually cremates me, they can include my copy of this book in the ashes... :shock:

Ed

PS - On the other hand, I am struggling BIG TIME to read through his recently published, two volume copy of Nymphs... :oops: :oops:

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish »

Eperous, I read a post of some time ago about you buying your early fly tying supplies at Huff's Sporting Goods in Union, NJ. That was my Dad's store where I worked in the late 60's tying flies that were hot in the South Branch of the Raritan River. Small world. I still tie flies and fish primarily in MA, NH and ME. Silverfish

redietz

Post by redietz »

Rithrogena is also the genus name for the English/European March Brown -- the one that's Juliana Berners and Charles Cotton would have called by that name. I don't remember the article, but perhaps it was in an historical context?
Bob

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Silverfish wrote:Eperous, I read a post of some time ago about you buying your early fly tying supplies at Huff's Sporting Goods in Union, NJ. That was my Dad's store where I worked in the late 60's tying flies that were hot in the South Branch of the Raritan River. Small world. I still tie flies and fish primarily in MA, NH and ME. Silverfish
Initially we purchased Mike's Glo salmon eggs there... we would get together, pool our coins and order a case or two of those we split among us...

Eventually I did purchase some tying materials there... what I remember where small cellophane sleeves/bags with a dozen hackle/feathers in each... I couldn't afford an "Indian" neck back then, which probably cost $5 tops... I think those cellophane bags sold for a quarter each... I still have a few...

And I purchased several fiberglass fly rods at the store... I had a yellow 6 1/2 foot Eagle Claw fly rod that I later upgraded to a Phillipson Royal fiberglass rod which came in its own metal tube/case--- the cat's meow at the time... and eventually, before moving out of NJ I purchased a 6 1/2 Orvis Superfine cane rod, two tips, my name on the rod for $99...

I also remember purchasing a few flies... one such purchased consisted of a dozen wet flies--- maybe squashed dry flies--- tied in Japan that came in a plastic box costing $0.99 for the entire dozen flies... included where such patterns as the McGinty, Black Gnat, Ginger Quill, and others noted at the time... but my best fly purchase was probably a gorgeous tied white Irresistible for a cost of about seventy-five cents FOR ONE FLY versus ninety-nine cents for a dozen squashed wet flies... so noted, the very first trout I ever caught on a fly ate that Irresistible... a small wild brook trout, about 7" long that I caught/released in Trout Brook in Hacklebarney State Park...

Mr. Huff always found time to talk to us kids about fishing, so it was a special place to go, learn, and leave the little bit of money we had behind for purchases like cork poppers for panfish and bass...

Those were the days; we were Huck Finn's and the world was our oyster...

Ed

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish »

It's nice to hear from someone who enjoyed Huff's. My Dad and I spent many hours fishing the rivers of NJ on Sunday when the store was closed. He passed at the age of 88 after retiring to Cape Cod. Fished and played golf to the end. I hope to fish the Swift River this week in MA. It's an excellent tailwater that can be fished all year.

bassman

Post by bassman »

wiFlyFisher wrote:... The older I get the harder it is for me to remember if certain bugs at certain stages have 2 or 3 tails for identifying them. The book helps take care of my many brain freezes.
OMG...There is a point where hatch match takes a turn for the absurd IMO. I'm finding it hard to believe that 2 identical flies, one with two microfibbets and one with three, are going to be taken or ignored by a trout. The factor that does come into play is confidence in a pattern, which means it will be fished better and paid more attention to than one you don't have the same confidence in.