Why do you like this site?

Anything fly tying...
David Roberts

Why do you like this site?

Post by David Roberts »

As for me I was, and am very happy to find this site. I have been a Western tyer for 60+ yrs , but my roots are Eastern ( via Ireland ). I tye and use a lot of Catskill style dry's and wet's, but knowing always to over dressed with tail, and hackle. Now that I have had to give up guiding (guiding not fishing) I have gone back to mostly spring creeks, some slow tail waters. With your posts and Mike Valla's books (that leads to more books to study ), well thanks for letting me join in.
David

Eperous

Re: Why do you like this site?

Post by Eperous »

Glad you joined the crew... and the answer to your question is easy--- I think... I like SGM cause of its members and all the interesting posts...

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Glad to have you Dave!

I can tell you what I like about this site...a great bunch of guys that contribute, no big egos to spoil it and even while its not a "Catskill only" site most of the posts are related some way to the mountains we love so much.

Thanks for the post, CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

redietz

Post by redietz »

What's not to like?
Bob

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Though I've never been there, my fly fishing roots are most certainly in the Catskills. As are those of almost every fly fisher in the country whether they know it or not.

I came to the site as a first step in planning a visit, and it's exceeded my expectations. No dates set, but we're still planning a visit- at least a month, and two would be better. In the meantime I'm getting acquainted with today's worthy stewards of the place and the traditions. That's a bonus while learning about the region and its waters.

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

I've got an idea, you come out here and see us, then we'll all go see you in Alaska! :D

David, I don't contribute much to this site, except i hope a little humor every once in a while. But I sure get a lot out of it!!!

A lot of us guys know each other in person too, and we still like each other!! :lol: :lol:

-Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

quadfish wrote:I've got an idea, you come out here and see us, then we'll all go see you in Alaska! :D
It's a deal! I can advise and direct on my home waters (Kodiak), but I probably know someone who knows someone on most other waters in this great state. Just confine your visits to May through October, unless you have a formula for packing an ice auger on a fly vest. :lol:

turk

Post by turk »

Civil,respectful of others.
Funny at times.
Hell.
What's not to like?
Regards
Turk

hacklehead

Post by hacklehead »

I love everything about the Catskills.The rivers,the people ,the history,not to mention my annual trips fishing the Beaverkill,the Willow,East and West branches of the Deleware.Most of all,stopping in at Dette's Fly Shop and chatting with Joe and Mary.Tight Lines.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Good people, good topics and the only way I have to keep "in touch" with the rivers I began fishing in the 50s, but which are now a bit off my radar in terms of accessibility. The Henry's Fork has my heart, but the Catskill rivers and flies have my soul.

Besides, as Turk and Bob said, "What's not to like?"

Eric
Last edited by ewpeper on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich