Size #6 Dry Flies

Anything fly tying...
Allan

Re: Size #6 Dry Flies

Post by Allan »

As Eric wrote, you can use the Mustad 79580 in smaller sizes (8, 10 or 12) to compensate for the length of the 4, 6 or 8 respectively. And as John wrote, Caucci advised the same. Caucci however used the Mustad 94831 (hope the # is correct) xf, 2xl hook or the Daiichi model 1280 (also 2xl). Select the hook size one size smaller then the one desired. You end up with same body length and a lighter wire hook. Of course Caucci didn't use hackle except for spinners. Another option, and as you said it's gotten more difficult, is to get the 'real' spade hackles and use them for collar hackle. Charlie Collins can help with that. I hope that last comment is allowed here :?:

Allan

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

maybe i missed it but what pattern are you tying? and if the hook isn't required can you tie that big thing on a smaller hook using an extended body?

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Allan wrote:As Eric wrote, you can use the Mustad 79580 in smaller sizes (8, 10 or 12) to compensate for the length of the 4, 6 or 8 respectively. And as John wrote, Caucci advised the same. Caucci however used the Mustad 94831 (hope the # is correct) xf, 2xl hook or the Daiichi model 1280 (also 2xl). Select the hook size one size smaller then the one desired. You end up with same body length and a lighter wire hook. Of course Caucci didn't use hackle except for spinners. Another option, and as you said it's gotten more difficult, is to get the 'real' spade hackles and use them for collar hackle. Charlie Collins can help with that. I hope that last comment is allowed here :?:

Allan
Did Al (and Bob) continue using the 94831? Seems to me I recall a lot of b*tching from both of them about the light wire hooks straightening on them on big fish in the Delaware system.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Ted, I am trying to tie a bunch of Wulff patterns. Size #10 and below are not an issue for getting the right hackle size. I want to tie some bigger Wulffs in 8s, 6s and maybe 4s. The hooks are less of an issue now that I have found some options last night than finding the larger dry fly hackles. It seems all the breeders have focused on breeding roosters with smaller, finer barbs and thus breed out the larger sizes. I guess everyone must be tying small Wulff patterns now. :(

I did order last night one pack of 94831 in size #8 from Cabelas along with some other non-fishing stuff. I have a credit there I am trying to use up. I still plan on ordering some 94840 size #6s.

Allan

Post by Allan »

ewpeper wrote:
Did Al (and Bob) continue using the 94831? Seems to me I recall a lot of b*tching from both of them about the light wire hooks straightening on them on big fish in the Delaware system.

Eric
Eric,

Al had his larger flies (G. drakes, M. browns, etc.) tied on the Daiichi 1280s.

flymank

Post by flymank »

I tye a lot of my drake patterns on the mustad #94831 in sizes 8-12 and have not had a problem with them straightening out and that has been on Delaware fish to 27"-of course your mileage may vary ;)

Allan

Post by Allan »

flymank,

I completely agree with you. However, when you're tying for someone else and they specify the hook, well they specify the hook. Mustad 94831 was never a problem for me either.

Allan