Advice

Anything fly tying...
dennis

Advice

Post by dennis » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:36 am

Since we have a few Regal Pro Staff members, I have a problem and favor to ask.

I chipped my jaws on my vise yesterday. I purchased the vice from Regal about 15-20 years ago. Is it still under warranty and will Regal fix it? Or will I need to buy a new head. The shop I bought it from went out of business.

Thanks Dennis

ewpeper

Re: Advice

Post by ewpeper » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:19 pm

dennis wrote:Since we have a few Regal Pro Staff members, I have a problem and favor to ask.

I chipped my jaws on my vise yesterday. I purchased the vice from Regal about 15-20 years ago. Is it still under warranty and will Regal fix it? Or will I need to buy a new head. The shop I bought it from went out of business.

Thanks Dennis
Just contact Regal Engineering at 978-544-6571 or regalvise(at)gmail(dot)com and ask them. My Regal is close to 35 years old, and they replaced the jaws about 5-6 years ago. There was a fee, but it was reasonable and well worth it. I paid less than $50 to buy the vise, and I certainly would have paid that to replace the jaws, but I know the fee was less than $50. IIRC the service was pretty quick too, altho at the time I had a backup vise.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:27 pm

For what it's worth, Dennis, you might want to consider replacing the chipped cast iron jaws with the newer stainless steel ones. I did this several years ago and have not regretted it.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:54 pm

I just went to their site to double check, and I'm pleased to see that sometime in recent years they updated the rating for their Traditional head, as well as introducing a Big Game head.

Way back when I bought mine (around 25 years as I can best reconstruct), they were rating the Traditional for all sizes from #22 to #6/0. Now it is rated for #22 to #1/0.

I kinda doubt many here will be tying so large, but right away I used mine to tie 6 dozen #3/0's for a trip to Florida, which sprung the jaws to the point they wouldn't hold a #12. I ran into all sorts of grief from their warranty folks in spite of the fact the vise was less than 2 months old, with them claiming I had abused the head and refusing to replace the jaws under warranty. I told them to send it back to me without repair (They wanted $60 then) and tossed it into a drawer with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Now that they're offering Big Game heads I'll look into whether those jaws (rated to #5/0) can be fitted to my old neglected model. But they can rest assured I'll immediately start tying my supply of 5/0 streamers for next spring's king salmon fishing. The concept is good, but here's hoping that their engineers are now talking to their warranty shop.

dennis

Post by dennis » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:02 pm

ewpeper wrote:
dennis wrote:Since we have a few Regal Pro Staff members, I have a problem and favor to ask.

Thanks Dennis
Just contact Regal Engineering at 978-544-6571 or regalvise(at)gmail(dot)com and ask them. My Regal is close to 35 years old, and they replaced the jaws about 5-6 years ago. There was a fee, but it was reasonable and well worth it. I paid less than $50 to buy the vise, and I certainly would have paid that to replace the jaws, but I know the fee was less than $50. IIRC the service was pretty quick too, altho at the time I had a backup vise.

Eric
Thanks Eric. Will call them and talk.

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:08 pm

tie2fish wrote:For what it's worth, Dennis, you might want to consider replacing the chipped cast iron jaws with the newer stainless steel ones. I did this several years ago and have not regretted it.
I did this when my jaws chipped. One of the best moves I've made.
Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:15 pm

tie2fish wrote:For what it's worth, Dennis, you might want to consider replacing the chipped cast iron jaws with the newer stainless steel ones. I did this several years ago and have not regretted it.

Me too. Love the stainless jaws. A super decision. Really, they're all I need for trouty stuff but I have a back-up in an HMH too, tiny jaws for tiny flies...for my tiny bloody fish! *G* :mrgreen:

Jeremy.

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:19 pm

ewpeper wrote:

Thanks Dennis

Eric
Like Eric, my jaws chipped after about 30 years and I sent it in and got the jaws replaced about 4 years ago.

From their website (http://regalvise.com/service.html)

Repairs

We recommend that you send only your Vise Head in a secure box and purchase insurance. Please keep the tracking number for your records and enclose a short note stating that you would like your vise repaired. Please make sure to include your complete physical address, phone number and email address. There is a $50.00 fee for this service ($60.00 outside of the contiguous U.S.). This is a flat fee for all repairs. Shipping is included in this fee. We accept checks, money orders and credit cards. Please allow 2-3 weeks from the day you send it out to us

Please send your vise head ONLY, to us at:

Regal Engineering 100 Prentiss Street, Orange, MA 01364 USA ATTN: REPAIRS