Wonder Wings

Anything fly tying...
Bamboo&Brookies

Wonder Wings

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

I watched the video of Joe Fox tying his divided woodduck Catskill dry fly wings, which provided a great tutorial from one of the masters.

After that, another video on that site caught my eye -- tying a little black stonefly that employs 'Wonder Wings.'

http://bit.ly/1BFztqU

Since the little black stones can provide some of the earliest dry fly fishing of the season around here, I'm always on the lookout for new dressings.

I like the idea of using the 'Wonder Wing' style.

I was just wondering how durable these things are.

To folks who tie with that winging method -- do the wings hold up while on the stream, or do they tend to fall apart after the first couple fish?

They look pretty delicate.

Thanks,

-Rob J.
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

BrownBear

Re: Wonder Wings

Post by BrownBear »

Bamboo&Brookies wrote: I was just wondering how durable these things are.

To folks who tie with that winging method -- do the wings hold up while on the stream, or do they tend to fall apart after the first couple fish?
We use them here on a couple of caddis on flat water. They're really effective, so we use them lots.

Durability is a funny question. If you're hooking the fish they seem to hold up well, but go to pieces pretty quickly when you're missing lots of fish, especially bigger ones. My guess is that on misses the fishes' teeth hang up with the hook is set, and the bigger the teeth the more destruction. I've tried Flexament for more durability, but I've formed the perception that the patterns aren't quite so effective with the wings gooed. No numbers, but it's hard to shake the instinct.

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

For those of you who own a copy of The Founding Flies, there's a photo of an original Wonder Wing fly, on page 198, tied by Chauncy Lively. Daughter Anne sent it to me.

For those who are not familiar with Lively's creation, there's also discussion and the history of it in the Chauncy K. Lively chapter in that book.

MV
Follow me on Twitter

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Ps.
What happened to your website? It's gone!
I found that things such as FB and blogs were taking up too much time. I had to squash almost everything as of late. I have yet another big book in progress with Stackpole. (I said my last book was two books ago...only the Fox knows me well enough that it wouldn't happen).

I've been up at 4:-4:30 am daily working on it. My obsessive compulsive behavior, a malady I've had to live with since first grade, has once again been put into overdrive.

So, for now....no blogs or FB. However, I'll check in here from time to time..... ;)
Follow me on Twitter

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Is this what you are calling Wonder Wings?

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

John when drawing your wing through to get the wanted length of wing are you reversing the direction of the hackle barbs? I ask because the last pic with the double wing looks as though the thicker end of the feather stem may be at the rear most part of the fly. Then again, perhaps I have just been looking at the computer screen too long.

Regards, Jerry

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Hey Mike, Is this apart from the 7 book contract?
You missed a great flea market Saturday. 25 and 50 cents per package, about every synthetic material you can think of, bead and cone heads, gooks, thread, plumes, tails fur...about everything but capes and exotics. Shop donated everything to our chapter.

Funny, for some reason I always thought a Wonder Wing was closer to single feather Wally wing which splits the stem. Learn something every day. Somewhere I have some letters from Chauncey
from back when people still actually wrote to one another.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Jerry G wrote:John when drawing your wing through to get the wanted length of wing are you reversing the direction of the hackle barbs? I ask because the last pic with the double wing looks as though the thicker end of the feather stem may be at the rear most part of the fly. Then again, perhaps I have just been looking at the computer screen too long.

Regards, Jerry
Mebbee just me, but the fibers look reversed on all of those flies.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

Could very well be Eric. The top wing on Johns double wing as mentioned the stem just looked fatter on the tail end of the fly. This got me thinking that perhaps that was the way he was tying the wing in. I have been using the Wonder Wing on a fly for some years now but never tried drawing the feather fibers through the thread wrap as shown in the video. So when trying to do as the video showed I had problems getting the barbs past that wrap of thread. I started by using Uni 8.0 and switched to UTC ultra and that seemed to work better for me. I had also been using cheap rooster capes that usually left some space between barbs. The hen capes seem to be a quite a bit more dense and maybe with a little nail hardener will stand up a bit longer.

Regards, Jerry

BruceC

Post by BruceC »

Funny, for some reason I always thought a Wonder Wing was closer to single feather Wally wing which splits the stem. Learn something every day. Somewhere I have some letters from Chauncey
from back when people still actually wrote to one another.
Hi Bob,
You're correct on the Wally Wing vs. Wonder Wing. J Edson Leonard gave clear, illustrated instructions in his book as to how to tie the Wonder Wing. The Wally Wing (devised by Canadian, Wally Lutz), is a single feather literally torn in half. Here's a link to a recent video I did for with Tim Flagler of Tight Line Productions that demonstrates the Wally Wing.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/v ... y-spinner/