Fly tying travel bag

Anything fly tying...
Eperous

Re: Fly tying travel bag

Post by Eperous » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Folks... thanks for all the responses... I like the idea of the clear plastic "sheet" carrier...

Bill, Cabela's bag is too small, as I often store supplies in smaller plastic containers when I travel...

Wolfie, you have me scratching my head about Mr. Didas, and what he uses... I'll have to inquire...

Given all the ideas/input, I think if I purchased anything, it would be a small gear bag of sorts with just "open space" inside... years ago I had a very old Orvis canvas gear bag that was functional, until it fell apart... no compartments inside, just open space..

Ted, good question about where I/one is travelling... typically only from home, via my vehicle, to a meeting or event like Fly Fest to tie some flies... and your question made me recall days at the Antrim Lodge, back in the early 70s when rooms cost about $4 night, with ONE bathroom per floor... in the morning I often recall seeing other flyfishers sitting on the edge of their soft beds, tying a few flies for the day ahead as I walked to that single bathroom... great times for sure...

Thanks again everyone for the ideas/responses...

Ed

squish67

Post by squish67 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:02 am

Ed

Four to a room, one bathroom, and great Old Fashions! Those were good days at the Antrim! :D

Rich

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:49 pm

squish67 wrote:Ed

Four to a room, one bathroom, and great Old Fashions! Those were good days at the Antrim! :D

Rich
I gotta believe that would have been a hoot to stay there back then.

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Hey, Chris! Haven't seen you in forever. Now that school is behind me we'll have to fish.

Ed,

Chris was referring to the Gerstner-style wooden tying chest that one of my units gifted me when I left. The Engineer section of that unit was responsible for maintaining the rifle range. They spent quite a bit of time doing some really exceptional memento-type pieces such as plaques.

My large oak tying chest was a beautiful example of their craftsmanship. I'm pretty sure you may have seen it when we were at the CFFC & M. I'm pretty sure I was using it when I was a guest tyer at the Museum. Ralph Graves was holding court, offering critique, and just busting nuts. Chris was also there that day. I think you and I went over to the West Branch and caught a few fish later that day...

Best,

Tim

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:08 pm

SgtMajUSMC - fishing with and tying at the CFFC&M

Wolfie (Chris) is leaning on the box in the photo.

nhflytyer

Post by nhflytyer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:56 am

I have used the Large Fish Pond Bag and the Orvis bag and both are great but they never hold everything I need. As with most of us we want to bring more than we really need but being prepared is important. Several years ago I got my hands on these 9"x"9"' poly bags. These are nice because they are a good thickness and they have rings that attach the bags. The rings are in a spot that the bags are beefed up so they don't tear. The size is great and they hold a bunch of things when I travel. These come in handy if I tie at a show, teach a class or just doing a demo because they pack really well.
Attachments
IMG_2141.jpg
IMG_2141.jpg (547.46 KiB) Viewed 766 times

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:22 pm

SgtMajUSMC wrote:Hey, Chris! Haven't seen you in forever. Now that school is behind me we'll have to fish.>>>>> Yeah :D we will be in 2017.. longs the water holds well. this year it was bad after June.

Ed,

Chris was referring to the Gerstner-style wooden tying chest that one of my units gifted me when I left. The Engineer section of that unit was responsible for maintaining the rifle range. They spent quite a bit of time doing some really exceptional memento-type pieces such as plaques.

My large oak tying chest was a beautiful example of their craftsmanship. I'm pretty sure you may have seen it when we were at the CFFC & M. I'm pretty sure I was using it when I was a guest tyer at the Museum. Ralph Graves was holding court, offering critique, and just busting nuts. Chris was also there that day. I think you and I went over to the West Branch and caught a few fish later that day...>>>>>>>>>>> YUP in the dead of the winter,, got nothing to do and join the crew of good times

Best,

Tim

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:27 pm

Rich
YUP,, my uncle ran that place.. as young kid waiting for my dad to pick me up at Antrim, I used to wonder around the building. I made an "oops" by opening the bathroom door seen this guy ( must be Ed) in the tub soaking up. :lol:

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:37 pm

the wolf88 wrote:

Rich
YUP,, my uncle ran that place.. as young kid waiting for my dad to pick me up at Antrim, I used to wonder around the building. I made an "oops" by opening the bathroom door seen this guy ( must be Ed) in the tub soaking up. :lol:
Not me, I never bathed nor showered... :oops: but, I pissed a lot of alcohol out IF I could find the bathroom... :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:

Those were the days... lots of trout caught, mostly at Keener's Pool :)

Ed

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:07 pm

:lol: .. ya its hard to tell where the bathroom was... all the doors are look alike.. unless you thinking of the that movie ... the shining.. :shock: