Darbee hackle

Anything fly tying...
quadfish

Re: Darbee hackle

Post by quadfish » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:57 am

Neat thread Dana!

I like the sounds of that theory, just whacky enough to be sound...

Sorry to hear of Charlie's passing. I fish the Lack fairly often and stopped at the shop a number of times, didn't know him really, but very nice gentleman.. I'll have to dig up the Grey Ghost I bought at his shop a long time ago...

Thanks for posting!

-Rick
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

BruceC

Post by BruceC » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:53 am

I was sort of gifted a Darby cape by the late Doc Fried. At a CFTG swap, somewhere around 2006, Doc had a table full of necks and hackle spread out. As I picked through the necks, I found one buried that looked interesting. I held it up and Doc winked at me. It turned out to be a Darby neck. Doc buried of few of these on the table. Here's a link to rest of the story...
http://www.brucecorwin.com/bc/Blog/Entr ... eCape.html
I haven't tied with it and truthfully, it's sealed in plastic and will end up in a frame one of these days.
Interesting post, Dana!

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:08 pm

BruccE
Nice - very nice! My recommendation? Use that neck to tie with! I took a close look......its perfect for the Gallagher Special and Ginger Quill.....
dana
“Time to go fishing”

bearbutt

Darbee hackle: DDDs

Post by bearbutt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:33 pm

DDDs: this is what I call Darbee Descendant Duns--hackle from birds that descend from the famous flock. I haven't made an effort to track the filiation of the flock across generations--but as far as I know, Whiting has some of the gene pool and has been working on them--and the capes make their way to Dave Roberts.

I was at the "Badger Opener" fly show yesterday in Madison--it's a small but nice show--and picked up three of the DDDs:

One thing I realized is that with dun capes, the devil's in the lighting, and in the lighting are the details. You really need to look at them in natural light--not fluro--. Flat on the table the greyish blues come out, like above. But near the window, you can see the pinkish cast that Dana was talking about.

The DDD's don't have that nice sloppy quality of the original flock, and Dana's pictures above. They are more consistent, with thinner hackle, and quite stiff barbs. The capes are smaller than regular Whiting capes, and also the hackle isn't as long--but they have nice flecking. I'll tie some BWOs with them shortly, and we will see how they turn out.

Does anyone know who else has DDDs? What flocks do the Collins birds descend from?

bb

Bazzer

Post by Bazzer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:30 am

Anyone have any Darbee capes or feathers they can sell me?

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:02 am

ohhhh- -boy.........

if someone from HERE offered up one, I think you would be ok.....don't trust anything out on the web though. Honestly, your best bet is tag & garage sales. I promise you if you search these, you will find what you need. If I came across extras, I will keep you in the loop so you can buy a few..

A few months back my mother told me about a sale...the guy passed away, and his wife was liquidating everything. Mom cant get around much anymore, so she scans the internet for me daily.........anyway, the lady at the tag sale had sold "all the good stuff" all she had left was some ratty old feathers - that's my cue! Left my office in Manhattan, drove the 2.5 hours to south Jersey. I DID get a Darbee neck, some tinsel, and a few other things.......the lady was throwing it all out! I gave her $40 anyway.......good karma
“Time to go fishing”

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Theroe wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:02 am
ohhhh- -boy.........

if someone from HERE offered up one, I think you would be ok.....don't trust anything out on the web though. Honestly, your best bet is tag & garage sales. I promise you if you search these, you will find what you need. If I came across extras, I will keep you in the loop so you can buy a few..

A few months back my mother told me about a sale...the guy passed away, and his wife was liquidating everything. Mom cant get around much anymore, so she scans the internet for me daily.........anyway, the lady at the tag sale had sold "all the good stuff" all she had left was some ratty old feathers - that's my cue! Left my office in Manhattan, drove the 2.5 hours to south Jersey. I DID get a Darbee neck, some tinsel, and a few other things.......the lady was throwing it all out! I gave her $40 anyway.......good karma
I love that! It reads like Dudley Do Right in tweeds and Schwiebert's homburg charging off after a runaway cape. "I'll save you, Nell!"

I have a similar network up here ...only it's farm equipment: "Hey! I found a coil for that 1968 Chevy C40 of yours! $20!!" *sigh*

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:31 pm

I loved that show when I was a kid......
“Time to go fishing”