blackdirtfly

Re: New Vise

Post by blackdirtfly »

Thanks guys. I like em all. Lol

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

blackdirtfly wrote:Thanks guys. I like em all. Lol
As long as the vise holds your hook and you can securely tie a fly--- any size, what else can one ask for... :| blondes, brunettes, or red-heads... all a matter of personal choice, IMO... :D

My vote still goes for HMH... :roll: :P :)

Ed

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

I have a Thompson from the late 40's.....drilled a hole in an old piece of 1" x 4" bar stock....it works perfect. Gave away the Renzetti & some other rotary contraption I bought years ago...still DO keep a Regal, but its my "loaner"
“Time to go fishing”

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I have always been of the opinion that if you ask 10 people what vise to get you get 9 different answers!

I have had at least ten different ones, and some are better than others for certain tasks.

I love a Renzetti master for salmon flies, spins smoothly and holds huge hooks tight. But tying split wood duck wings for Catskill dries is a chore, the shape lends to a lot of hand contortions to get them to set right.

The Thompson (or HMH, anything with a 45* angle) lets you rest your hand on the head to put them right where you like them. Because of the angle on those though, even on the ones that do rotate, tying upside down doesn't work.

A lot of guys are going to the Regal, I see them everywhere. I have not pulled the trigger on one, but then again, the mix of vises I have cover all the bases anyway.

The last show I went to a guy looked at my Thompson vise and wrinkled his nose, stating "how do you tye with that"!
I told him "easy" !

Good luck whatever you get! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

blackdirtfly

Post by blackdirtfly »

Thanks C.J..

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

catskilljohn wrote: ... The Thompson (or HMH, anything with a 45* angle) lets you rest your hand on the head to put them right where you like them. Because of the angle on those though, even on the ones that do rotate, tying upside down doesn't work. ...
Very thoughtful post CJ, many excellent points... and yes, with a Thompson and/or HMH that rotate, you can't use the rotation to aid in adding materials, but you can rotate the fly to inspect all parts of it, the reason I originally purchased a Thompson 360 SLT and later moved to an HMH when Thompson went under, and I needed a replacement part--- that Tim Didas graciously sent my way...

Ed

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

catskilljohn wrote:A lot of guys are going to the Regal, I see them everywhere. I have not pulled the trigger on one, but then again, the mix of vises I have cover all the bases anyway.
I have no problems with the functionality of Regal. My issue, and the reason two of them are gathering dust in a drawer, is their arcane and self-serving repair/warranty department. Everyone I know who has sent back a vise with warranty issues has come away with a bad case of indigestion and a hole in their wallet. I bought my first early on when they advertised the vise was suitable for everything from #8/0 to #28. A couple of months after purchase I tied a bunch of 5/0's and the jaws sprung, no longer grabbing anything smaller than a #4.

I bought a replacement vise to use while waiting for return of the original, and they told me I'd abused the vise and would have to pay for the replacement jaws. I reiterated my uses and lack of abuse, but they wouldn't budge. I told them to send back the vise unrepaired and to stuff themselves while they were at it. Both vises now rattle nicely if I open the drawer quickly, reminding me never to tread again.

I note that within a year after my incident they changed their literature to indicate the vises are suitable for all hook sizes from #5/0 to #28. Wouldn't know about that. But unless they changed their design or materials, I'd be REALLY cautious about using them for larger flies. :roll:

Done my dirt now and I'll quit grousing. But I'm an ex-user and not inclined to change since I now winter in big fly country.

walt

Post by walt »

I have never owned a Regal vise so i can't comment on them. I can contrast my experience of Brown Bears with service though. I got one of the early Dyna King vises. I forget the model name it was called, but it is a step down from the Professional. After manufacturing it for a few years Dyna King improved the design slightly and incorporated a spring style material holder in the top of the vise. The early ones like mine used a circular spring that wrapped around the barrel holding the jaws. I called Dyna King and asked if they could modify my vise to make it like the new ones. They said sure, send it in. I sent it to Dyna King and they machined the vise to make it into the new model, installed the material holder, cleaned up the entire vise to make it look new again, and returned it to me. The cost-zero including return shipping. Very nice folks to deal with. And as an aside, I have tied lots of tarpon, bonefish, striper and other salt water flies as well as the full range of trout flies from 28's on down. I'm pretty happy with the vise and the customer support.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

BrownBear
I had the exact same issue with Regal.....plus the jaws chipped ......their customer service leaves a lot to be desired...mine gathers dust as well

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

Interesting notes on the Regal. I've been using mine for going on 15 years now, the standard jaws as well as the midge set, and never had a single issue with chipping or the jaws 'springing'. From the experiences you folks have had with their customer service I'm glad I haven't had any reason to find out for myself.

I've had my eye on a new HMH for quite awhile now, maybe I'll cough up the discretionary cash and finally pick one up.