New Vise

Anything fly tying...
David 82nd

Re: New Vise

Post by David 82nd »

Had a simple entry level vise , from a kit ... I got a Regal rotary for Christmas , it's worked flawless I'm very happy with it
Not sure if it's a mental thing , lol. But tying is a breeze :)

redietz

Post by redietz »

Theroe wrote:BrownBear
I had the exact same issue with Regal.....plus the jaws chipped ......their customer service leaves a lot to be desired...mine gathers dust as well

Dana
I've used a Regal for years, and have never had any problem with the jaws chipping. If they ever did, I'd replace the jaws before even considering another vise.
Bob

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

The original cast jaws on my Regal head did chip from holding #2/0 stainless hooks during my brief fling with saltwater, but when I approached Regal at their booth at Somerset with the damaged goods, they graciously replaced the cast jaws with their newer stainless jaws for a nominal fee.

blackdirtfly

Post by blackdirtfly »

After alot of thought I went with the HMH Spartan. Alot of quality vises out there and it came down to either the HMH or Dyna king Pro. Customer service and warranty is a big deal to me, as i want a vise that is solid and last a lifetime. Thanks for your help. John

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

I have a HMH and use it for atlantic salmon flies when tying on hand made hooks the hooks are usually beautiful BUT the japanned finishes are consistently soft so i can adjust the pressure of the jaws easily with the HMH. I also have a regal and love the simplicity and holding power of the vise but cannot use it, even with the piece of hard plastic or paper or whatever to hold the hook, when tying on the softer finish hooks.

I use them both and am very happy with them

hey CJ...did someone REALLY say that to you? It never surprises me and at the same time always astounds me that someone HAS to give their unsolicited opinion while looking down their nose at you...

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

ted patlen wrote: hey CJ...did someone REALLY say that to you? It never surprises me and at the same time always astounds me that someone HAS to give their unsolicited opinion while looking down their nose at you...
Yup, but it's a friend of mine, he's quite a bit younger than me and was probably a little scared of that manly thing. I told him it's ok, when you get older you will realize that the newest things aren't always the best! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

I started on a Universal Rotary but now have four Regals--two I use, two for houseguests and tying parties. I chipped the jaws of one on a size 12 hook once--my fault for not putting the hook in properly. The risk of a Regal with the way the jaws are spring loaded is a chip or hook flying out of the jaws into your eye. So you need to pay attention making sure the hook is securely clamped and not sitting on the edge of the jaws. Otherwise....bwoing!

bb