Where do you get you're Hackle

Anything fly tying...
David 82nd

Where do you get you're Hackle

Post by David 82nd »

Hey guys , I looked here and didn't see this topic. ...here goes
Question where does everyone buy their Hackle ? I look all over online , including Amazon , I always try my local shops as well
As a starting point , like to give them my $$ if possible . There seems to be a ton of dealers and company's selling Hackles and feathers of all types , recently I've been looking at the Feather emporium site , beautiful feathers, capes, great selection as well , has anyone dealt/ w this company ? Good experience or bad ? Or does somebody have any other suggestions for purchasing materials ? Thank you ahead of time. :)

Theroe

Re: Where do you get you're Hackle

Post by Theroe »

David 82nd
In answer to a couple of your posts:'
1. Join the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild - $10, this Saturday at the CFFCM, 1pm

2. Join the CFFCM - $35.

3. The museum has used vintage materials dirt cheap - for members. If you come, I will give you a few things to get you up and running.

4. Kenny at Baxter house in Roscoe is raising some good hackle birds - decent price.
PM me if you are interested.
“Time to go fishing”

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Kenny is out of the chicken business.
There are two folks I get my hackle from for the most part. The owner of this site Joe Fox, Dette Trout Flies, he has Whiting, Metz and Keough.

hen there is the master grower of Catskill hackle, Collins Hackle Farm. He has web page but you must call him to order. Both of these guys will not steer you wrong.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

All of narcogogs pointers are very good ....Yes, Kenny done with chickens, but he had some stock kicking around.
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Hi Dave... welcome to SGM... and, you might have just missed the boat... every January I get my butt to Somerset, NJ and The Fly Fishing Show... my first stop is Charlie Collins booth... you'll find, it's always got tiers in there, looking and buying... as already mentioned, his hen necks are the best, IMO... I also buy his commercial rooster necks, on the cheap... great bargains, again IMO...

Charlie Collins is a first-rate guy to deal with, honest as the work day's long...

PS--- update... I just noticed where you're from and I believe Collins is located close to Binghamton, NY... not too far from you? If you give him a call, you might be able to stop by and look-see-shop??? :?:

Ed

David 82nd

Post by David 82nd »

Thanks guys great info , I will admit , I get a little " add when it comes to materials lol , don't we all ? I see it and think I need it lol, I know some day I'll use it , but I admit I get excited when I see capes or other materials , lol. Just part of the adventure right lol. .... I'll look into the gentleman listed , I think he lives up my way , perhaps a road trip ? Thanks again guys

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

"
David 82nd wrote: ... I get a little " add when it comes to materials lol , don't we all ? I see it and think I need it lol, I know some day I'll use it , but I admit I get excited when I see capes or other materials , lol. Just part of the adventure right lol. ....
Yes!!! ;)

As an aside... while at Somerset this past January I "stumbled" upon a book that I've lusted for decades... The Henryville Flyfishers by Ernest Schwiebert... I am a huge fan of Schwiebert and the price of this book has only been climbing... this book was in MINT condition! :D So I pulled the trigger and laid out almost two Ben Franklin's... I also stopped by Charlie Collins acquiring a ginger neck--- never can have too many of these--- and a very, very pretty speckled honey dun hen... together, these cost me $35...

I get home later that day and show my wife my newly acquired possessions, as she always asks... more of a showing interest in my interests than checking up on me... I tell her about the book, and its cost... she never bats an eye... :) then I proudly show her my two Collins necks, and she says..."Did you really need those?" :roll: :oops: :roll: :lol:

So yes, we tyers often acquire "things" we don't have an immediate need for... If I lived to be 140 tying flies to the very end, and never purchase another single feather, I'm set for live... :o :shock: 8-)

Ed
Last edited by Eperous on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Permit me to add my 2-cents. It is to your advantage to ALWAYS purchase feathers and hair that you can personally examine at a brick-and-mortar retailer. Unlike synthetics which have little variation in color and texture, there can be a great variation in materials that come from living birds and animals. The overall quality of today's genetic necks is way better than the quality of the Indian and Chinese necks we had in the past. However, there are often variations and you might like one color shade over another. I have found this is true even among necks and saddles from the same grower that he has marked as being the same color. Additionally, the quantity and sizes of the feathers can and often does vary considerably.

With hair like deer or elk for example, you want to select what's best for the size flies you intend to tie. For example, the tip portions of long strands might make neater Comparadun or caddis wings for smaller flies. When you make larger flies with that same material and tie it on further down where it is thicker, it might flair too much or otherwise result in a crappy-looking wing. Needless to say, you always want to select the straightest hair possible for the best results, and you can't do that buying mailorder.

I learned my lessons the hard way and have accumulated a ton of materials over the years that I will never use. I pass this along for what it's worth.

hacklehead

Post by hacklehead »

Charlie Collins raises some of the best.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Lots of good stuff here, and little to add from me.

I would like to say that Joe has added Sideling hill hackle to his shop stock, another small breeder that while relatively new to the game has some nice colors and decent prices.

Collins is my first choice, for reasons Ed mentioned, I just love the old school colors and feel of his capes. Every time I visit his stand, there is another dun shade I don't have!

Troutfisher gives good advise, it's desirable to handle materials before purchase. Know this though, Collins has a satisfaction guaranteed policy, but you'll never need to use it. His stuff is just great. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"