Rotary vises, plus

Anything fly tying...
Eperous

Re: Rotary vises, plus

Post by Eperous »

bearbutt wrote:So many people started out on a Thompson--and you know how it is, the memory of the first vise--and first vice.

I started out on a rotary in 1973. A Universal rotary. They were made in Westfield, Mass., and I grew up in western Mass and fished the Westfield--and Farmington, and Swift. It was the local company--so why not?

My go-to vise at home is now a Regal with the rotation head. Not rotary. It does the job for when I need to see the back side, when laying down wingsets, or trimming deer hair (Muddlers, Stimulators, and so on).

But when I travel, I take my little old Universal rotary--it's made of aluminum, light, folds compactly--nothing fancy about it. The big round rotation arm reminds me of the arm on my mother's Necchi sewing machine. But for a period in the 60s and early 70s, it was a vise of some reknown--if you look through Valla's Founding Flies you can see a lot of names tying on the vise--Helen Shaw, Lew Oatman, Keith Fulsher.

I'm using it now at the cabin in the Adirondacks:

The fly is a big dun stimulator that I use for the stoneflies on the Ausable. The rotary feature really helps a lot when trimming the elk hair up near the eye. You can't tie these too big or too bushy, it seems--the big browns just gobble them up.

bb

;)

Gene

Post by Gene »

Nice Ed, bought mine about the same time. My only wish is they made the jaws out of a more durable material, wore mine out on big hooks. I remember my vise squeaked as it was being rotated, kind of irritated my wife if she was in earshot. Thanks for the memories, glad your still enjoying yours.

Genes

drlogik

Post by drlogik »

I have a number of vises both old and new but none are a "true" rotary. I tried a Norvise at a fly show a number of years ago and just couldn't get the hang of it. I suppose if I tied all the time with one I'd like it but I don't need an excuse to buy another vise.......
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

bearbutt wrote:So many people started out on a Thompson--and you know how it is, the memory of the first vise--and first vice.

I started out on a rotary in 1973. A Universal rotary. They were made in Westfield, Mass., and I grew up in western Mass and fished the Westfield--and Farmington, and Swift. It was the local company--so why not?

My go-to vise at home is now a Regal with the rotation head. Not rotary. It does the job for when I need to see the back side, when laying down wingsets, or trimming deer hair (Muddlers, Stimulators, and so on).

But when I travel, I take my little old Universal rotary--it's made of aluminum, light, folds compactly--nothing fancy about it. The big round rotation arm reminds me of the arm on my mother's Necchi sewing machine. But for a period in the 60s and early 70s, it was a vise of some reknown--if you look through Valla's Founding Flies you can see a lot of names tying on the vise--Helen Shaw, Lew Oatman, Keith Fulsher.

I'm using it now at the cabin in the Adirondacks:

The fly is a big dun stimulator that I use for the stoneflies on the Ausable. The rotary feature really helps a lot when trimming the elk hair up near the eye. You can't tie these too big or too bushy, it seems--the big browns just gobble them up.

bb
Wow, that's the same vice I use at camp. It was something my grandfather had and I never knew much about it until your post. Thanks for the history lesson.