Materials Charts

Anything fly tying...
bearbutt

Materials Charts

Post by bearbutt » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:14 am

Does anyone still make materials charts? Rube Cross, Ray Bergman, and William Blades all had materials charts in their books--I am sure others did also--. So I started tinkering around with the idea:

I need to redo these a bit, and label them, of course, making sure they are a little sloppy too--in Blades' book his feathers look like solders in formation; in Cross' book, they look like a seven-year old organized them--I prefer Cross.

Anyhow have plates then can add to this thread? Dana--how about a plate of your quill collection?

bb

tie2fish

Re: Materials Charts

Post by tie2fish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:06 am

Forum member John Shaner has been working on one for the last several years that is positively amazing. Not only nearly every feather that has ever been mentioned in the literature, but an absolutely prime example of each.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 am

bb, as you alluded to various books have a few of these, I believe including Leiser and Talleur--- that I occasionally reference... but quite honestly, today when I have a materials' question, I just Google it and often find/see numerous examples of what I'm looking for...

Ed

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:48 am

tie2fish wrote:Forum member John Shaner has been working on one for the last several years that is positively amazing. Not only nearly every feather that has ever been mentioned in the literature, but an absolutely prime example of each.
My Lord, this sounds positively epic. Does anyone have an pictures of the in-progress chart to share? Just how big is it? And how many (shhhhh) felonies does it contain?

Ed, I don't have Leiser's materials book; but his Metz hackle book doesn't have much in the way of charts--. It's not so much the individual material that interests me, but the materials in relation to each other--this is where charts get interesting, especially in an abstract visual sense.

Here's a few that I have:

Bergman (from Trout):

Blades (from Fishing Flies and Fly Tying):

Cross (from Fur, Feathers, and Steel):

Elder (from The Book of the Hackle):

bb

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:50 am

That hackle from Elder looks amazing ...

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:01 am

tie2fish wrote:That hackle from Elder looks amazing ...
It is!--The Elder book is probably the most thorough book on hackle I have read--it's my hackle touchstone.

Here's another chart, from Jenning's Book of Trout Flies--a painted chart, by Alma Froderstrom. I like these painted versions a lot:

bb

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 am

bb... my copy of Blades' Fishing and Fly Tying is a 1979 Stackpole reprint, almost entirely black and white photos... I purchased it new, mostly due to early-teen memories of going to the Union, NJ Public Library which had a copy that I'd read... and when I got bored, a few stacks over were several photography/art books filled with photos of women, who seemed to have forgotten to get fully dressed... :oops:

Leiser's book, Fly-Tying Materials--- now that I look at it again, has some color, mostly B&W...Talleur's Modern Fly-Tying Materials has more color, especially on hackle... and then I forgot about Family Circle's Guide to Trout Flies which also has several pages of color, and was probably my first point of reference a long time ago...

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:27 pm

bearbutt,

Shaner's "book" is really well done, and he is very accommodating letting everyone look through it.

It's more of a binder than a chart, I'm sure he adds pages every so often cause it keeps getting fatter!

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:11 pm

catskilljohn wrote:
Shaner's "book" is really well done, and he is very accommodating letting everyone look through it.
Sounds great! Could someone who knows John personally tell him about this thread? I'd love to have him post a picture or two to get a sense of how things are laid out and labeled.

Many thanks,
bb

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Next time I see him I'll take a few pictures to post here. I'm sure he won't mind. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"