Materials Charts

Anything fly tying...
ewpeper

Re: Materials Charts

Post by ewpeper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:08 am

This sorta redefines "materials charts," but some may find ir of interest.

Several years ago (1975). the late Dick Salmon, a member of Debruce, undertook the task of assembling several handmade books of popular fly patterns and their materials. He personally assembled each book using his own calligraphy and gluing each piece of material to the pages. I had the good fortune to see these works in progress in his home on the Hudson in either South Nyack or Piermont in about 1973 or 74.

Here's a link to a full description.

http://www.sportingspirit.com/index.htm ... startatsb=

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:31 am

Great suggestion, Eric! Thanks!

bb

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:07 pm

others with material photos...eric leiser, schmookler, jorgenson, hilyard and noll just to add a few...there are many out there...

i saw John's book last year lots of work and it is spectacular.

and don't forget the dette card files!

there is a book out now by Peter Gathercole named fly tying for beginners , or something to that affect, that is one of the better manuals for beginners. each recipe has not only a photo of the finished fly but a photo os the materials BUT what is so good is that the materials are depicted as you would purchase it. for example a grizzly hackle is shown as a full neck...real or mallard is shown as a full skin...i believe the feathers used are indicated on the full skin showing where they're taken from.

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:54 pm

ted patlen wrote:
and don't forget the dette card files!

Oh, wouldn't those make a nice little book by themselves! I've only seen a reproduction of one of them, in Valla's Founding Flies--can't imagine what they'd look like as a series--except that it would be really nice--. I like the sense of practical understatement in the cards--.

bb

Bud

Post by Bud » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:09 am

Several years ago (1975). the late Dick Salmon, a member of Debruce, undertook the task of assembling several handmade books of popular fly patterns and their materials. He personally assembled each book using his own calligraphy and gluing each piece of material to the pages.
The remaining books without the materials were in the possession of the late Alan Liu, who donated them to the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild. A few guild members are in the process of pasting in the relevant materials in a some of the previously uncompleted books. A few have been completed and are for sale--proceeds to the guild--but they ain't cheap. I think the current price is $100.00. The originals, if you can find them, go for considerably more. FWIW.

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks, Bud--

I had no idea Alan Liu had died?--see how slow it is getting news here in the Midwest? Alas.

The Guild books sound great--I like the idea of the project, really--so much variation within the repetition--I wonder how many of the numbered books were actually completed by Salmon?

bb

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:04 am

Ted
funny that you mention the Dette card file....just a couple of weeks ago, i mentioned to Joe he should sell a "kit": copy of the index card, with materials etc to tie the exact Dette pattern. Many of the older patterns were tied on Allcocks W173 TDE in 10, 12, 14.....i even told Joe i would give him a pack of Allcocks to kick it off! Too many projects right now, and not enough time....but you never know what the future holds!
Dana
“Time to go fishing”

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 am

Here's a couple of more by Leisenring--they're not too sharp as they were printed B+W on uncoated paper--but they are useful I think, and it's interesting how he position the hackle, as opposed to other tying charts shown so far:

bb

Jay Wirth

Post by Jay Wirth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 am

I think this would be interesting to do AND happen to be a guild member that hasn't volunteered to complete a book (yet). My main question / concern would be on the best way to attach the materials to the pages. Old privately made versions are often just high acid paper with scotch tape which over time breaks down and fails to last more than a few decades. What can be done to assure lasting quality?
“Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.”

Arlo Guthrie

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:19 pm

Back in the day I took a botany class and we had to collect specimens for a final grade. There was a special adhesive we had to use for gluing the specimens on acid free stock. The adhesive never turned yellow or destroyed the material. Something like that should be used.