h l variant

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
ted patlen

h l variant

Post by ted patlen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:43 am

yo,
i was asked about the background of this pattern from the 70"s (?).

anyone out there know it's origin etc?

tie2fish

Re: h l variant

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:12 pm

It appears that it may have originated in the Colorado/Rockies area ... http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox ... rentID=145

And ... http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... 01fotw.php

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Coming late to this party as I meant to check yesterday, but forgot... :oops:

I looked in Fish Flies by Terry Hellekson, and he agrees with the name House & Lot... he also wrote, "It is not clear whether it was developed in Montana or Idaho or by whom." So it's clearly a western pattern, and Hellekson could be wrong as other info I'd used by him on this board has been challenged... Terry went on to write that this pattern was favored by our late President Ike... :)

Ed

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:33 pm

Eperous wrote:Coming late to this party as I meant to check yesterday, but forgot... :oops:

I looked in Fish Flies by Terry Hellekson, and he agrees with the name House & Lot... he also wrote, "It is not clear whether it was developed in Montana or Idaho or by whom." So it's clearly a western pattern, and Hellekson could be wrong as other info I'd used by him on this board has been challenged... Terry went on to write that this pattern was favored by our late President Ike... :)

Ed

Dah... :oops: :oops: western pattern... :| I should have checked Randall Kaufamnn also... :roll: in Tying Dry Flies (3rd edition) he wrote,"A striking fly that offers excellent visibility and floatability. Also called a House and Lot. Was a favorite of President Eisenhower when he fished in Colorado."

Maybe doesn't pinpoint the origin, but supports the Ike claim and perhaps the western connection... :?:

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:40 pm

thanks guys...