Humpy

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Theroe

Re: Humpy

Post by Theroe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:57 am

St.Froid wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm
You now, I've been throwing Humpy's almost from the beginning and I've yet to catch a trout on one. I keep looking at them and seeing the possibilities, and then I cast my proverbial bread upon the waters and... zip, nada, ziltch. This is one of those patterns that, to me, has 'potential' written all over it, and then underachieves drastically. Literally.

...maybe it's me.

I'm not a dry fly guy, I acknowledged that; but, I can tie on an Adams, or better yet, a Haystack, in virtually any size and situation and catch a trout. I've done it. ..and more than once. And yet, I've choreographed entire weekends around a Humpy and been left at the alter. Begging alms and fishing a Humpy equate to the same thing: an empty stomach, or a creel. It makes me realize that perhaps having that certain 'confidence' in your patterns speaks louder than we might admit. It's a pattern that truly belongs in the Pantheon, I get it. It's simply a pattern that for whatever reason, is beyond my limited ken.

I have a good and dear friend with whom I've fished with for going on three decades now and he thinks the Mickey Finn is the dumbest pattern ever invented; he has never caught a fish on it. Me, on the other hand thinks the pattern performs brilliantly in all sizes. Go figure.

Confidence: It's what's for breakfast.
Mike
I think that happens from time to time-I have never caught a trout on a snipe and purple-ever!!! Come to think of it, I’ve never done that well on humpy‘s either. ........ that being said, I believe confidence has a lot to do with the fish catching power of certain patterns.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Eperous wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 am
St.Froid wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:16 am
... I found it deceptively difficult to tie at first; it looked easy, it wasn't. ...
I agree... if one doesn't tie these often, or in bunches, it can be a tough dry to tie and look pretty when it's done... that's why I think Ibookje did a great job with his.

Sometimes I only tie 2 or 3, perhaps every-other year. That's when I find Leeson & Schollmeyer's The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference, pg. 170, a great review/reference... I don't think this is a "reading" book, but I find it a splendid source of info for tying new and different patterns, or patterns I don't tie often... it does sit on my tying bench, as a reference like it's meant to be... ;)

PS --- like Ibookje I fish the dry in pocket, or broken water... ALTHOUGH I have used large yellow Humpies on Adirondack stillwater lakes and ponds when trout are taking large Hex's... :)

Ed
I've relied on the Benchside Reference book so many times the spine is broken. I love that book.

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Theroe wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:57 am
St.Froid wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm
You now, I've been throwing Humpy's almost from the beginning and I've yet to catch a trout on one. I keep looking at them and seeing the possibilities, and then I cast my proverbial bread upon the waters and... zip, nada, ziltch. This is one of those patterns that, to me, has 'potential' written all over it, and then underachieves drastically. Literally.

...maybe it's me.

I'm not a dry fly guy, I acknowledged that; but, I can tie on an Adams, or better yet, a Haystack, in virtually any size and situation and catch a trout. I've done it. ..and more than once. And yet, I've choreographed entire weekends around a Humpy and been left at the alter. Begging alms and fishing a Humpy equate to the same thing: an empty stomach, or a creel. It makes me realize that perhaps having that certain 'confidence' in your patterns speaks louder than we might admit. It's a pattern that truly belongs in the Pantheon, I get it. It's simply a pattern that for whatever reason, is beyond my limited ken.

I have a good and dear friend with whom I've fished with for going on three decades now and he thinks the Mickey Finn is the dumbest pattern ever invented; he has never caught a fish on it. Me, on the other hand thinks the pattern performs brilliantly in all sizes. Go figure.

Confidence: It's what's for breakfast.
Mike
I think that happens from time to time-I have never caught a trout on a snipe and purple-ever!!! Come to think of it, I’ve never done that well on humpy‘s either. ........ that being said, I believe confidence has a lot to do with the fish catching power of certain patterns.

Dana
That's where this place comes in, for me. There is so much knowledge flying all around the place; I've picked up so much just through cyber osmosis. The subtle nuances spoken about here by others can have dramatic implications for those like me who have spent a lifetime fly fishing in a wilderness of our own making. Keep the wisdom coming, please.

ibookje

Post by ibookje » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:30 pm

I've been using this scheme for my proportions

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:19 pm

That's perfect. I'm going to print that off and hang it in front of my vise during the next Humpy session.

ibookje

Post by ibookje » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:50 am

I recommend short tipped, not too coarse, hair like cow elk or yearling elk for the back & wings.
Deer hair is a bit softer and hair gets cut easier. But the finer deer hair also gives the Humpy the most delicate look.

The best deer hair I have ever used was from a brand called Mission Mountain Hair.
Bought them in 2005 at a fly shop in Craig, Montana. I think MMH disappeared around 2008.

These days I think the best hair, deer and elk, for Humpies are from Nature's Spirit.

ibookje

Post by ibookje » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:50 pm

A few Humpies before dinner

drlogik

Post by drlogik » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pm

I may have caught two fish on Humpies. I keep an assortment in my fly box not for fishing but as "strike indicators", er, bobbers. They're great for that! I tie most of mine with a closed-cell foam body though and they float like a cork.
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

ibookje

Post by ibookje » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:22 am

One tied with a new Cree saddle (Hebert Miner gold).
Barb count is very good and the dark colors are amazing.

ibookje

Post by ibookje » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Here's another painting of one of my Humpies I commissioned. The artist is Ryan Keane (http://www.rakart.net).
I think Ryan's artwork has a nice mix of impressionistic and realistic look. So nice to see the progress.