Dorato Hare's Ear

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Eperous

Re: Dorato Hare's Ear

Post by Eperous » Sun May 22, 2016 12:39 pm

tailwater wrote:I do not think it is fair to say that Bill (very good friend) was the founder of Clearwater chapter of Tu. It was more of a group of friends most of whose names have already been mentioned and a few more. The early meetings were held at a restaurant/bar South of Albany on Rt. 9 W. I do not remember the name but old age may play a part in that.
You're probably correct on this as one person alone can not form a TU chapter... since I never met Bill Dorato myself, I rely heavily on a few good sources--- one being Del Bedinotti--- also a very good fiend of Dorato's... in fact, I believe Del inherited several of Bill Dorato's fishing items after his death... in an email to me Del wrote, "... I met Willie at an early gathering of fly fishermen back around 1968... we were staring a T.U. Chapter and the half dozen of us elected Willie president of the chapter..."

I'll also add that in an Albany Times Union memorial by Fred LeBrun titled "A good fly-fisherman gone" and dated Nov. 16th, 2000... LeBrun wrote, "Bill Dorato was a founder and the first president of the Clearwater Chapter of Trout Unlimited." among many other fond accolades...

So you are correct, I shouldn't have used THE, but rather A...

Ed

Eperous

the missing piece

Post by Eperous » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:53 pm

My good buddy, and SGM board member Barleywine, recently gave me a copy of the Feb/Mar 1973 issue of Fly Fisherman magazine with Dick Talleur's article on the Dorato Hare's Ear... I've been searching for a copy for years, as Dick Talleur was probably the first person to ever write about the DHE... before the late Talleur--- Uncle Dickie, as he referred to himself--- passed on, we traded a few emails on this pattern which he glowingly wrote about...

Thank you Chuck! :D

DHE1.JPG
DHE1.JPG (281.38 KiB) Viewed 706 times
DHE2.JPG
DHE2.JPG (116.19 KiB) Viewed 706 times

Ed

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:23 am

Ed,

That was quite gift from Chuck! Nicely done!

I was able to read the first part of the article regarding computers, big brother, and how designing flies was still a private venture. That aspect of our interest sure has changed, hasn't it?

The DHE is a great fly, I remember speaking to Dick Talleur about it at an early fly fishing show.

Hope to see some of you at the Summerfest.

Best,

Tim

redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:51 am

SgtMajUSMC wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:23 am
I was able to read the first part of the article regarding computers, big brother, and how designing flies was still a private venture. That aspect of our interest sure has changed, hasn't it?
Yes, Big Brother no longer monitors our lives; Google, Amazon and a host of other do it for him.
Bob

bluesdude59

Post by bluesdude59 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Jim Slattery wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:29 am
Dorato Hare's Ear. Love that fly. Back in the day we just called it "The Dorato". We tied it in Cream and Olive too. What a fish taker. I found the fly in Uncle Dickey's beginners guide to Fly Fishing. Talluer recommended a buggy body and tail fibers clipped just past the hook bend. Also to clip the hackle on the bottom about even with the hook. Also suggested is to give it "twitches" when fishing. It also will work on the swing.
This fly is one of all time favorite flies but I don't fish it that much any more. Many , many fond memories of fishing while using this fly, like one evening on the upper Beaverkill above the covered bridge when I was 16..........
Thanks for posting this thread.
Can't believe I did not see this blog til now... I was there that day on the beaverkill... and when the bite shut down we were trying to snag each other with dry fly casting after dark!!! What fun.
Dorato was the hottest dry fly we knew of then. During high school evenings in winter we'd tie dozens and dozens, and opening day would sell flies at the river out of Jims old VW van on the musky fly stretch in NJ... guys would snag them all up in hours. The VW van...LOL... it was also the greatest... had to park it facing down hill so it could be jump started... riot...

AH
"Fishing makes commoners of all men. It is a sport from which both rich and poor alike can derive equal satisfaction."