Midwinter Hatches, Olives and Caddis

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
twistedtippet

Midwinter Hatches, Olives and Caddis

Post by twistedtippet »

It's getting closer every day.

tt

The Novice Returns

Re: Midwinter Hatches, Olives and Caddis

Post by The Novice Returns »

What's the wing material on those beautiful caddis?
"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

twistedtippet

Post by twistedtippet »

The Novice Returns wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am
What's the wing material on those beautiful caddis?
Poly wings, with a few strands of flash mixed in. It's a Dave Goulet pattern.

tt

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

Using Antron for your parachutes? I always like the blue gray antron yarn for mine. I use antron for a lot of post style wings. Hard to find the darker grays on spooled yarn though. Puglisi's Trigger Point Fibers are nice too, though very expensive. Have you tried them?
TP Red Quill Spinner.JPG
TP Red Quill Spinner.JPG (72.1 KiB) Viewed 893 times
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Just saying from someone who actually fishes 12 months a year since 2012, December through March mostly in the Garden State but some home waters in the Catskills included, there's nothing, nothing at all like a #18--- maybe #20 at times--- Dorato Hare's Ear for winter dry-fly fishing....

Here's a winter No Kill Willowemoc brown that ate a small DHE of mine....

DHE  Willowemoc br.JPG
DHE Willowemoc br.JPG (96.9 KiB) Viewed 860 times

Just saying...

Ed

twistedtippet

Post by twistedtippet »

Caneghost wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:27 am
Using Antron for your parachutes? I always like the blue gray antron yarn for mine. I use antron for a lot of post style wings. Hard to find the darker grays on spooled yarn though. Puglisi's Trigger Point Fibers are nice too, though very expensive. Have you tried them?TP Red Quill Spinner.JPG
Caneghost:
I've found the poly yarn to float like a cork, and it's quite inexpensive compared to antron or trigger point.
tt
Ed:
Just showing what hatched on my bench. Here on the Farmington during the winter it's ether a size 22 brown winter caddis or a tiny grey midge.
tt

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

A winter trout on a dry fly in the Catskills. I bow to you sir! I have looked but, now in my second winter here, I have yet to find even one rise. I am forced to swing soft hackles, bead head soft hackles, etc. while carrying my little hidden box of midges and olives, etc. that never gets used.

I usually prowl the West Branch, what with the water temperatures being a bit more consistent than the freestones. The past two warmer days I hit the Delaware and Beaverkill. Enjoyed getting out but no sign of a rise, ever.

Found early black stones on the West last year in late Feb./early March, sitting on the surface with wings fluttering. Nothing ate them. Nothing tried.
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

twistedtippet wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:03 am
Just showing what hatched on my bench. Here on the Farmington during the winter it's ether a size 22 brown winter caddis or a tiny grey midge. tt
tt... when I need tiny, 22 & 24 BWO's I rely on a simple pattern I call Slant-wing CDC's... some thread, a small Daiichi 1130 hook, a bit of body, and some downwing cdc... that's it...

FYI: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5339&hilit=cdc+slant+wing+cdc

Ed

twistedtippet

Post by twistedtippet »

Eperous wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:00 pm
twistedtippet wrote:
Just showing what hatched on my bench. Here on the Farmington during the winter it's ether a size 22 brown winter caddis or a tiny grey midge. tt
tt... when I need tiny, 22 & 24 BWO's I rely on a simple pattern I call Slant-wing CDC's... some thread, a small Daiichi 1130 hook, a bit of body, and some downwing cdc... that's it...

Ed
Ed
I do those too, just olive thread and a cdc wing for the smaller olives that come later in the season. The parachutes are for the early springtime olives which are about size 20's. They also work for paraleps.
tt

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

twistedtippet wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:46 pm
Eperous wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:00 pm
twistedtippet wrote:

Ed
Ed
I do those too, just olive thread and a cdc wing for the smaller olives that come later in the season. The parachutes are for the early springtime olives which are about size 20's. They also work for paraleps.
tt
Same page as you tt... years ago I read an article that BWO's get smaller and darker as the season progresses... and I associate those comments with icy, cold water... late season and before trout season opens...

Your flies are gorgeous ties IMO for sure... ;)

Ed