Hooking fish with Comparaduns.

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
troutfisher

Hooking fish with Comparaduns.

Post by troutfisher »

I've caught a lot of nice fish on Hendrickson Comparaduns this year, more than on my usual parachute tie. However, I've also missed or lost many more. I'm wondering if the the trout's nose might be bumping against the stiff deer hair wing and keeping the fly from going deeply into their mouths? Thoughts on this from the experience of anyone else would be appreciated.

Caneghost

Re: Hooking fish with Comparaduns.

Post by Caneghost »

In a word, no. I think manny "missed" trout are actually splashy refusals. The fly is not quite right, micro drag begins, or the trout does not see the final trigger which I believe is often movement within the fly, a sign of life. As anglers, as humans, we have a habit of looking for excuses when we don't get the result we want. I would not blame the fly's wing; it's fishing! If we caught every one we cast to we would have given it up long ago for the lack of challenge. A deer hair wing on a comparadun isn't all that stiff either, generally.
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Caneghost: It appears as though we're using two different types of deer hair to make our Comparadun wings. Mine is stiff like typical deer hair including the stuff packaged and labeled specifically for that purpose. My thoughts are that the clump wing on my Comparaduns could easily restrict the fly from entering the mouth deeply, especially on larger flies like Hendricksons and March Browns. Not so much so on 16s and smaller. It sounds like your stuff bends more easily like poly and CDC I dislike using because it doesn't hold its shape. I agree on the refusal part, but many of my fish are lost after actually hooking and fighting them which makes me wonder if the fly wasn't seated far enough in the mouth?

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

Other possibilities is the hook you use or slack in the line. There really are many issues involved as how a fish becomes hooked then lost. Have you ever caught a fly with the hook through the outside of the mouth or foul hooked? Why happens is everyones guess.

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

I suspect that when a fish is hooked outside the mouth, it can be traced to a last minute refusal; he turned away from the fly at the last minute, rubbed against the fly and hooked himself. Likewise for foul-hooked dry fly fish. I don't consider those to be mysteries.