Humpy

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
ted patlen

Re: Humpy

Post by ted patlen »

very nice work...my son once caught a wild browning in the Willow on a size 8 royal humpy...good buggy pattern

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

Thank you.
Buggy flies like the Humpy are also excellent strike indicators. I often have a midge pattern trailing behind it.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Great ties, and the thing I like most is your consistency from fly to fly. That's not easy while learning to tie it, and a sure mark of an old hand with the pattern.

A significant aside is worth passing along. I don't recall the name but my fishing pard came back from New Zealand with an all-black Humpy having a metallic blue body. Evidently "blue bottle" flies are common there in summer around the dairy farms and trout seem to relish them.

He gave me a few, and on a subsequent summer I was fishing ranch waters on the upper stretches of Montana's Rock Creek. Lotta flies around in the pastureland, so I tied on the visiting New Zealand pattern. Zap! It turned a slow afternoon of fishing into hot action. I've subsequently tied other patterns to resemble common flies, but none have worked so well as the blakc/blue Humpy. Food for thought anywhere cattle meet water.

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

Thank you BB!

I think the first time I saw the 'Blue bottle Humpy' while watching 'Trout Bum Diaries' DVD.
It's the almost metallic shine that seems to do the trick?

I have a trip coming up in August to Montana.
I've never tied one, but I'll tie a few just in case.
Thanks for the tip :)

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

ibookje wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:07 pm
It's the almost metallic shine that seems to do the trick?
As far as I've been able to tell tying and fishing alternate ties, the metal shine is key. And the more shine the better. Blue floss works somewhat, but neither dubbing nor wool worked at all.

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

I think the guys from AEG in the movie used plastic candy wrappers to tie the blue bottle :D

Uni Thread has this tinsel in shiny blue (other side being copper color).
I'll try that.

ibookje

Re: Humpy - painting

Post by ibookje »

A fantastic painting of my Humpy by a very talented young South African artist (Gavin Erwin) :)

Last edited by ibookje on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

BrownBear wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 am
Great ties, and the thing I like most is your consistency from fly to fly. That's not easy while learning to tie it, and a sure mark of an old hand with the pattern.

A significant aside is worth passing along. I don't recall the name but my fishing pard came back from New Zealand with an all-black Humpy having a metallic blue body. Evidently "blue bottle" flies are common there in summer around the dairy farms and trout seem to relish them.

He gave me a few, and on a subsequent summer I was fishing ranch waters on the upper stretches of Montana's Rock Creek. Lotta flies around in the pastureland, so I tied on the visiting New Zealand pattern. Zap! It turned a slow afternoon of fishing into hot action. I've subsequently tied other patterns to resemble common flies, but none have worked so well as the blakc/blue Humpy. Food for thought anywhere cattle meet water.
BB
I for one, would like to see a picture of that fly - Any chance you still have it?
Theroe
“Time to go fishing”

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

I'm away from home for the winter, so no. But a search of the web for Blu Bottle Humpy Fly shows lots of versions. Here is one similar to what I have, though the body on my version is tied with blue tinsel braid rather than flat tinsel. Lots less fiddly forming a good body with the braid.

Guestfly

Post by Guestfly »

Very nicely done this fly.
I like it that you have fun to tie the fly.

Mike