Humpy

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
ibookje

Re: Humpy

Post by ibookje » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Here's one I tied a few days ago.

ibookje

Post by ibookje » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:03 am

More Humpies :)

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:11 am

Your tying skill and "repeatability" look professional. Good looking flies.

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm

You now, I've been throwing Humpy's almost from the beginning and I've yet to catch a trout on one. I keep looking at them and seeing the possibilities, and then I cast my proverbial bread upon the waters and... zip, nada, ziltch. This is one of those patterns that, to me, has 'potential' written all over it, and then underachieves drastically. Literally.

...maybe it's me.

I'm not a dry fly guy, I acknowledged that; but, I can tie on an Adams, or better yet, a Haystack, in virtually any size and situation and catch a trout. I've done it. ..and more than once. And yet, I've choreographed entire weekends around a Humpy and been left at the alter. Begging alms and fishing a Humpy equate to the same thing: an empty stomach, or a creel. It makes me realize that perhaps having that certain 'confidence' in your patterns speaks louder than we might admit. It's a pattern that truly belongs in the Pantheon, I get it. It's simply a pattern that for whatever reason, is beyond my limited ken.

I have a good and dear friend with whom I've fished with for going on three decades now and he thinks the Mickey Finn is the dumbest pattern ever invented; he has never caught a fish on it. Me, on the other hand thinks the pattern performs brilliantly in all sizes. Go figure.

Confidence: It's what's for breakfast.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:58 pm

St.Froid wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm
You now, I've been throwing Humpy's almost from the beginning and I've yet to catch a trout on one. ... Confidence ...
Ibookje, great ties, super looking dry flies! :D

St.Froid, Confidence --- it means everything in all we do... personally, I love a #14 Red Humpy in late August and through September in the Catskill high peaks, when colors of autumn first appear, and mountain hollows where where brook and brown trout abound... even a wild Esopus rainbow has been known to suck in a red Humpy when Isonychia are still to be found... it's one of my favorite dry flies that time of year, and I also love Betters' Haystack, who wouldn't, again when Iso's are present...

Ed

Humpy brookie.JPG
Humpy brookie.JPG (162.08 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Humpy brown & Superfine cane.jpg
Humpy brown & Superfine cane.jpg (84.53 KiB) Viewed 386 times

redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 pm

St.Froid wrote:
You now, I've been throwing Humpy's almost from the beginning and I've yet to catch a trout on one. I keep looking at them and seeing the possibilities, and then I cast my proverbial bread upon the waters and... zip, nada, ziltch. This is one of those patterns that, to me, has 'potential' written all over it, and then underachieves drastically. Literally.

OTOH, I've never caught a trout on a woolly bugger, but I've hundreds of them on humpies, yellow, red and green.

You're right, it's about confidence. If you only ever tie on a given fly in desperation, it should come as no surprise that you don't catch anything on it.
Bob

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:16 am

redietz wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 pm
St.Froid wrote:

OTOH, I've never caught a trout on a woolly bugger, but I've hundreds of them on humpies, yellow, red and green.

You're right, it's about confidence. If you only ever tie on a given fly in desperation, it should come as no surprise that you don't catch anything on it.
Lol, I love Wooly Buggers now, but that wasn't always the case either; my heart isn't hardened to the Humpy, it's just a work in progress.

I sincerely hope that I never find myself standing in beautiful waters with a feeling of impending desperation creeping up my waders. If I ever do then I need to hang up my rods and reevaluate my priorities.

It's a beautiful fly, the Humpy. I found it deceptively difficult to tie at first; it looked easy, it wasn't. I happily tie them for a couple of friends in the 10-12 range now; and they catch fish. I'd love to try and tie them down around 16-18 and have another go at floating them but I'm too inconsistent in my abilities at those sizes.

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 am

Eperous wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:58 pm
St.Froid wrote:
You now, I've been throwing Humpy's almost from the beginning and I've yet to catch a trout on one. ... Confidence ...
Ibookje, great ties, super looking dry flies! :D

St.Froid, Confidence --- it means everything in all we do... personally, I love a #14 Red Humpy in late August and through September in the Catskill high peaks, when colors of autumn first appear, and mountain hollows where where brook and brown trout abound... even a wild Esopus rainbow has been known to suck in a red Humpy when Isonychia are still to be found... it's one of my favorite dry flies that time of year, and I also love Betters' Haystack, who wouldn't, again when Iso's are present...

Ed
I love the pictures you post, Ed. The Humpy and I are going to keep working together and we'll come to a watery consensus at some point, I have confidence in that.

ibookje

Post by ibookje » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:19 am

It did quite well during my trip to Montana this summer.

My experience is that it works best on choppy spots.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 am

St.Froid wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:16 am
... I found it deceptively difficult to tie at first; it looked easy, it wasn't. ...
I agree... if one doesn't tie these often, or in bunches, it can be a tough dry to tie and look pretty when it's done... that's why I think Ibookje did a great job with his.

Sometimes I only tie 2 or 3, perhaps every-other year. That's when I find Leeson & Schollmeyer's The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference, pg. 170, a great review/reference... I don't think this is a "reading" book, but I find it a splendid source of info for tying new and different patterns, or patterns I don't tie often... it does sit on my tying bench, as a reference like it's meant to be... ;)

PS --- like Ibookje I fish the dry in pocket, or broken water... ALTHOUGH I have used large yellow Humpies on Adirondack stillwater lakes and ponds when trout are taking large Hex's... :)

Ed