Favorite Summer Patterns?

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
troutbum40

Favorite Summer Patterns?

Post by troutbum40 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Now that summer is on us, I was wondering what patterns are most productive ? I tend to use a "Daves Hopper" type fly for the smaller streams and a Small #14 Patriot attractor fly on most other streams. They produce pretty good until the fall.

ewpeper

Re: Favorite Summer Patterns?

Post by ewpeper » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:53 pm

My standbys for almost anywhere in the country are fur bodied ants (14-22) winged and wingless in black, red and honey brown, beetles (12-18) with peacock herl bodies and either natural or black deehair "shells," and Letort Crickets and Hoppers (cuz they're simple to tie) in 12-16 -- bigger in the west.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

cast cane

Post by cast cane » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:59 pm

stimulator or an iso parachute is always a staple for me. of course, my favorite can change with the size of the stream and how much water is in it.or even where i'm fishing . Love that beatle too . WULFF flies in small water is always fun.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:41 am

for all waters i like to use these for search patterns...ants, beetles, variants and big iso extended bodies

but if i hit something like a smooth pool and see dimples, i love to use the really small things i call them the mosquito peekers

yo

troutbum40

Post by troutbum40 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:16 am

Ahh, the old "mosquito peekers" ! I like the itsy-pitsy flies too! And so do the fish! :lol:

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi!you guys talking about fly tying?My favorite summer patterns are olives and tricos.BAth about a size 24.You have talked a lot about Gordon.Any one have information pre Gordon.
such as John Harrington Keene,Emelyn Gill or Sam Camp They fished the same waters as Gordon and wrote about it .Only difference is nobody wrote about them.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:07 pm

upstate,

Didn't you read the rules? No posting about fly patterns without a photo of said pattern. :lol:

Glad you are "in the house" see you this weekend? CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:16 pm

this time of year I use small flies such as cream midge...or sulfurs nothing more until mid point of July then I will wait out until the fall...

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Summer for me means having sulfers emergers and spinners. Plenty of tiny bwo's and Iso's in the fly box.
I always have some ants in there but don't seem to use them all that much.

cast cane

Post by cast cane » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:31 pm

it sure is funny to tell what type of waters we mostly fish by our fly types . :P
boy i sure miss fishing those tricos but getting up that early for me is a rare event anymore. :|