Dry Fly Proportion

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
BoatDog

Dry Fly Proportion

Post by BoatDog » Fri May 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi Everyone,
New member.
Could someone help on Catskil fly proportions. Here is what I think I know:
Hackle 11/2 times the gape
Wing Shank length
tail hook length
Tail and hackle angle about 30 degrees
Seem to recall this being standard to a Mustad 94840 standard wire standard length.
Have hooks changed the traditional proportions?
Also, any preferred brands for this style.

I have been tying flies off and on for nearly 50 years. Mostly saltwater however. I have enough to last the rest of my life so trout flies are what's in for me now.
Thanks for the help,
Boatdog

Vance

Re: Dry Fly Proportion

Post by Vance » Sat May 18, 2019 7:10 am

Hi, If you have been tying saltwater flies you are probably from Jersey. Any way I,m like you I have enough saltwater flies for a life time. You have the trout fly proportions right as far as I can see. Wing from the outside of the eye to the outside of the bend. Tail from the inside of the eye to the inside of the bend. Hackle 11/2 the gap. If you are off a little bit don’t worry because the trout do not carry rulers. Presentation is the best way to catch trout. Do not let the fly drag on the water. Good luck fishing for trout. If from Jersey where bouts as I live in Manahawkin by Long Beach Island. Bill the mailman

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 am

Get yourself a Dette Hackle Gauge fro Dette Flies and you'll be set.

BoatDog

Post by BoatDog » Sat May 18, 2019 3:02 pm

HI Vance
Boston actually. The striper craze hit me pretty hard. Add to that Bluefish and trout did not stand a chance.
Dette Hackle gage? Not one of those cheap plastic things with a stick on paper marker is it? Won't be bothered if it is. Will check it out none the less.
BD

Vance

Post by Vance » Sat May 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Boat dog, I have not fished in Mass. but you are not that far away from the Housatonic River in Conn. it has mucho hatches. If by any chance you can get to the Catskills for a few days you will be hooked on fly fishing. You have all of the great rivers. Beaverkill,Willowemoc,East Branch andthe famous West Branch. If you go a little ways north you have the Esoupus. They all are great trout waters. Good luck, Bill the mailman

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sat May 18, 2019 8:27 pm

BD... I'd like to help and comment, but often I end up tying my thumb to my hook while trying to tie dries... :oops: :o :shock: so best I pass on this one.... :roll:

Just whip a few dry flies up and have a good time doing it... ;) and Boston is one fine town, with lots of interesting things to do, other than fish... 8-)

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Sun May 19, 2019 11:34 am

I'm from Jersey living the life on Cape Cod. !!!!

anyway, I'll try to answer this before Valla does. You stated the classic proportions and if you follow them your fly should float upright .

BUT. there is always a but....not all tiers from the region tied them the same. some people liked longer tails, shorter wings, longer wings etc...

the fly should be balanced, stiff tails that fan out behind the body like little out riggers, sparse and stiff hackles at the collar! wings positioned about 1/3 the way back from the head. you may have read about the little "gap" between the head and the eye...that was for gut leaders and turtle knots.

the hooks preferred were allcock 04991, a model perfect bend...allcock was bombed out during ww2 so mustard took over and the 94840 was favored.

sparseness and balance are, imo, the two most important factors

BoatDog

Post by BoatDog » Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Good information thanks everyone.
Hoosatonic River, Have not fished it yet but hired a guide and ended up on the Farmington River. Thought I was going to the Swift to the north but otters had apparently invaded the area and, well, they eat a lot of fish.
Is the Hoosatonic a tailwater like a lot of the better rivers?
Boston Has stripers, flounder,a LOT of history, and more crazy liberals than you can shake a stick at. I try to stay away. Actually, just north of Boston.
I do have another hook question: is the round bend and perfect bend the same?
Thanks again everyone, Very interesting discussions on my favorite hobbies.
Regards BD

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Wed May 22, 2019 12:02 pm

yeh, round and model perfect are the same.

bigger bass have hit the soul side of the cape...worm hatch last night.