You guys are going to like this...

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
catskilljohn

You guys are going to like this...

Post by catskilljohn »

Don Bastian, who we all know is probably the leading authority on all things Ray Bergman, pulled these out to show us over at Mikes house. I was in shock when he opened the box...

14] size #12 Multi-colored Variants, mint in the box, tyed by Ray himself! These were so beautifully tyed, it was a shame to subject them to daylight!

I have heard people say that Ray tyed "fishing grade" flies, but I think this shoots that theory full of holes. These were perfect, and clones of each other. I was really glad Don brought them along for us to see, it was worth the trip just to get a picture of them. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

redietz

Re: You guys are going to like this...

Post by redietz »

Those are really cool. Thanks for posting.
I have heard people say that Ray tyed "fishing grade" flies, but I think this shoots that theory full of holes. These were perfect, and clones of each other.
The thing is, at the level you would normally look at a fly, they are very nice flies. Looked at at the level people are now displaying presentation flies, though, they've got imperfections. (Take this in the context that Bergman is my greatest fishing hero; I mean no disrespect at all.) From the photo you show, I can see (or think I can) thread showing through the body of one, a tail off to the far side of the hook on the same fly, and a lumpy body on another fly. If you took a macro photo of those (if you had tied them) you wouldn't display it on-line. (I might, because it's the best I can do!) They are professionally tied fishing flies, however, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Bob

pamike

Post by pamike »

They look pretty good on the droid x. Some day I will learn to post pictures.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Yea, I saw those Bob, at least the bodywork. Crooked tails dont bother me with flies that have been bouncing around in a cardboard box for 60 years, I hope mine look like that after one season! Tinsel bodies on dry flies are hard to make smooth, without building up thread to smooth the tail fibers and in this case the tiny hackle tip wings. I am sure its like you said, a guy tying for fishing, but these are as nice as I have seen by anyone, in that context.
Here is another...

Don broke this out when we were at the museum, he's always suprising us with this stuff! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

Those are fantastic.... what an amazing find.

I'd give anything to see one of his Bridgeville Olives... maybe the very one he caught all those big browns on that one cold, windy day so long ago on the Neversink. ;)

Thanks for posting!

-Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

I'm a Bergman fan myself, thanks for posting... :D

Off to do a little fishing, while you working guys keep the ecomony rolling... 8-)

Ed

BruceC

Post by BruceC »

CJ... Did I ever show you the Bergman flies I have? If I remember, I'll bring them next week.

Bruce

FlySlinger

Post by FlySlinger »

CJ those are very nice flies...I like variants I Lot any way....those are real Beauties....
thanks for showing these to us.....

FlySlinger

Fatman

Post by Fatman »

Those are sweet!!!!! Nice piece of tying history, thanks for sharing!!!!!!!

Fatman