A few old style

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Allan

Re: A few old style

Post by Allan »

The Renzetti is my 'go to' vise AFTER the Thompson and the Regal. It just happened to be out at that particular time.

I'm learning how to adjust the photos. Hey, it's not easy for us old farts to learn how to work with this new technology. I was just getting used to 'touch-tone' telephones :lol:

Allan

dennis

Post by dennis »

Allan wrote:The Renzetti is my 'go to' vise AFTER the Thompson and the Regal. It just happened to be out at that particular time.

I'm learning how to adjust the photos. Hey, it's not easy for us old farts to learn how to work with this new technology. I was just getting used to 'touch-tone' telephones :lol: Allan
Buddy you got that right ;) :) :shock: :oops:

Great lookin flys.
Dennis

Allan

Post by Allan »

CJ,

The PM about 'hook-making'?

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Yea, that was the one... CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

FlySlinger

Post by FlySlinger »

Those Fly's are really nice CJ I like them a lot....I was wondering if you where Tying a smaller fly like that like Say a 16 or 18 Could you get that size of Chenille To make a fly like a Dorthea or would it be Necessary.......

FlySlinger

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

FlySlinger.

They have chenille that is small enough to do the back end of a 16 hook, but I dont like it, its too densely wound. Very hard to keep the bulk down as the thread doesn't cut into it, it just mats it down leaving an unsightly mess.

The thing I would recommend is not to use chenille on those small hooks, but use floss or dubbing. Here are a couple, a #16 and #18 sulphur with a fur dubbed egg sack.

Using synthetic dubbing would be a better choice, as it wouldn't wick up water and sink the back end of the fly.

My very first experience with a full blown mayfly hatch was during a Dorothea hatch on the Neversink years ago. That day will forever be burned into my mind ;) CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"