Catskill inspired dries...

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
fly_fischa

Catskill inspired dries...

Post by fly_fischa »

I've been playing around at the vise and using peacock quill for the first time. I thought I'd share the results.

ted patlen

Re: Catskill inspired dries...

Post by ted patlen »

very well done

frankwalsh

Post by frankwalsh »

Nicely done - the peacock quill barring is really good .............Frank

fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa »

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments :)
This is the first time I've tied with peacock quill, what was I thinking! It's and awesome material and makes the most beautiful bodies...
Is it normal to give the qill a lick of varnish after the body has been formed?

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Beautifully done. The photography is as inspiring as the tying. Excellent!!

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

ewpeper wrote:Beautifully done. The photography is as inspiring as the tying. Excellent!!

Eric
+1

fly_fischa, what are you photographing that fly with?

fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa »

Thanks Eric and wiFlyFisher :)
I'm away from home atm, living in London for 6 months so travelling light. The pics are taken using a mini tripod with a canon G12 (Compact) external flash unit and a cheap fold up 3in 1 refelctor. I put the camera on self timer (so my hands are free), with the flash pointing at the ceiling hold/bend the reflector above the flash and place some aluminum foil underneath and around the fly so some of the flash is bounced up and around the fly from underneath. It doesn't give as good a result as my setup at home but is very portable, compact and quick, it gets the job done :)

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

I've seen the peacock quill body reinforced with very fine gold wire as well as with varnish or head cement. I think what you've done looks superb and should do the job. I don't use peacock, but on other quill or fragile bodies I've occasionally used a rib of 7X tippet as a reinforcement.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa »

Thanks for the advice Eric,
7X tippet is a great idea! I'll give both the fine wire and tippet a go. I think that a very fine wire next to the dark banding on the quill could look very nice, especially if it isn't counterwound.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

counter winding and lacquer was done so the quill , which is fragile ,lasted.

eric , i like the 7x tippet idea...

when i do bodies like that , for fishing, i just use two or three different colors of thread, looks the same to me and it's stronger....not my idea...from somewhere in the past...maybe an old fly tyer mag?
yo