Red Quill Variant

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
David S.

Red Quill Variant

Post by David S. »

Hook: Mustad 94833 #14
Tail & Hackle: Ginger cock (should as I'm sure you all know be medium dun in the original)
Wing: Wood Duck

/David S.

dennis

Re: Red Quill Variant

Post by dennis »

Very nice just the way it looks ;) Nice body. Dennis

troutingintas

Post by troutingintas »

Love that body.
Is the quill over claret dubbing finished with a coat of clear?
Or, did you use something like claret coloured T/shirt ink (wiped back with a damp cloth) to fill the gaps between the quill and then, when dry, finish with a coat of clear?

David S.

Post by David S. »

troutingintas wrote:Love that body.
Is the quill over claret dubbing finished with a coat of clear?
Or, did you use something like claret coloured T/shirt ink (wiped back with a damp cloth) to fill the gaps between the quill and then, when dry, finish with a coat of clear?
Thank you troutingintas, glad you liked the body. The body was made with a dyed quill from D's Flyes in Denver. I made the body by making an under-body of orange tying thread, and then used the rotary function on my DK Barracuda to wrap the quill. I find using the rotary function very helpful for wrapping quills as it gives me a lot more control over the tension and keeps me from twisting the quill. The body was then varnished. No additional dying needed.

/David S.

David S.

Post by David S. »

I had another go at the Red Quill, this time trying to stay as true as possible to the original pattern. I think Flick was on to something here with the medium dun hackle.. Looks more distinguished somehow :D As I don't have access to Rhode Island red cock I had to use a dyed quill. For some reason the Quill body didn't turn out as pretty on this one, maybe because I used a thicker part of the quill, and also I think I let it soak to long which led to some color bleeding. Well, you live and you learn I guess..

/David S.

dennis

Post by dennis »

David S. wrote:I had another go at the Red Quill, this time trying to stay as true as possible to the original pattern. I think Flick was on to something here with the medium dun hackle.. Looks more distinguished somehow :D As I don't have access to Rhode Island red cock I had to use a dyed quill. For some reason the Quill body didn't turn out as pretty on this one, maybe because I used a thicker part of the quill, and also I think I let it soak to long which led to some color bleeding. Well, you live and you learn I guess..

/David S.

David,
Don't know where your from but talk to Joe, he used to have some Rhode Island red cape's. ;)
and yes the blue dun hackle looks great

Dennis

David S.

Post by David S. »

dennis wrote:
David,
Don't know where your from but talk to Joe, he used to have some Rhode Island red cape's. ;)
and yes the blue dun hackle looks great

Dennis
Thank you Dennis, glad you liked it. I'm from Uppsala Sweden, a long way from Rhode Island :D . I had a look at detteflies.com and it seems they are out of stock, guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open..
/David S.

David S.

Post by David S. »

I had one more go at this fly as I wasn't very happy with the body on the second one. This time I used a natural reddish brown cock hackle that I stripped myself. I think this is the way to do it. Natural quill definitely worked best for the body in my opinion. Would a Rhode Island Red cock quill give me a much different result?

Hook: Mustad 94833 #14
Tail & Hackle: Speckled badger cock (should be medium dun in the original)
Wing: Wood Duck

/David S.

Ron`

Post by Ron` »

There is nothing better than a quill body dry fly, good job to all.
"By the time I had turned 30, I'd realized 2 important things. 1: I had to fish. 2: I had to work for a living." Z. Grey "The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - S. G. Hackle

David S.

Post by David S. »

Ron` wrote:There is nothing better than a quill body dry fly, good job to all.
Thanks very much Ron`, quill bodies indeed makes for very pretty flies... I've done some further "product development" , these are both on hook #16 :)

/David S.