Patterns by John Atherton

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
David S.

Patterns by John Atherton

Post by David S. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:54 pm

I just got a copy of John Atherton's book "The Fly and the Fish". This is a real gem of a book, truly inspirational :-) At least to me, his ideas about "impressionistic" flies seem to make a lot of sense.. /David S.

Eperous

Re: Patterns by John Atherton

Post by Eperous » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 am

David, very nice ties... and one of "the best" books I ever read about fly fishing... it changed my hold approach to this pastime... I moved away from Dr. Schwiebert's "exact hatch matching" school to one of "impressionism" and PRESENTATION...

Very nicely tied... :D

Ed

viking

Post by viking » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:36 am

Great flies, great tie :) .
//Janne

David S.

Post by David S. » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Thank you both, I'm real glad you liked them :) The more I read Atherton's book, the more sense his ideas makes to me. It's a real pity he only got to publish one book..
/David S.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 pm

David S. wrote:Thank you both, I'm real glad you liked them :) The more I read Atherton's book, the more sense his ideas makes to me. It's a real pity he only got to publish one book..
/David S.
David, I could be wrong on this... BUT, I vaguely recall he had another book in the works when he died.... by today's standards, I think he died at a young age...

Ed

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:41 pm

-I was always told--maybe it's just folklore--that Atherton had another book in the works before he drowned.

-He was indeed an interesting fellow (the "new book" that in fact I just finished and shipped to Stackpole this afternoon) has an entire chapter on Atherton, including a couple of photos of his original patterns that I got my hands on. There is another chapter in the same book mentioned, that's now behind me, that features a fly tier, now dead, who held similar theories---Atherton wasn't the only one with those ideas. You'll find that one interesting also.

--And by the way--thanks to the many SGM members who shot me quotes for the book--or offered materials I was hunting down, or flies. It's 143,212 words, 523 printed pages, 603 Images. I wanted the thing off my desk. After 377 days of continuous work--non stop--and 4:00 AM wake-up times each day, to "get to work writing," and all of that freakin' photography---DONE! Ha! Time to fish!

Thanks again..

-Mike V.
Follow me on Twitter

Bud

Post by Bud » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am

Mike--

Someone once said to Gloria Steinem, "You've founded a magazine and written books and all kinds of articles. You must really love to write." She replied, "I don't like writing. I like having written." Congratulations on emerging from the tunnel at the end of the tunnel and into that blissful state.

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 am

"I don't like writing. I like having written."

True.....My next book should be titled, "A Writer Never Sleeps."

Thanks, Bud
Follow me on Twitter

jelovelace

Post by jelovelace » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Mike,
Just got your "The Classic Wet Fly Box" in the mail today. Awesome! When do your expect your new book will be available?
Thanks,
John

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:37 am

Excellent flies!

An interesting man, John Atherton. A friend, Wally, has owned Atherton's house on the Battenkill for quite a while now.
I had asked Wally some questions about J.A. and he replied to one of them as follows:
"Jack is buried behind the house here. Lee Wulff put him there in 1952. And the pool (or what used to be a series of pools) is called Atherton's Pool. Since its improvements, its prospects are looking up."

You may also recall the poem in "Gordon's Garland" by Bill Herrick that I will try to post below.
AthertonHerrickPoem.jpeg
AthertonHerrickPoem.jpeg (80.03 KiB) Viewed 8325 times