Patterns by John Atherton

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Joefishy

Re: Patterns by John Atherton

Post by Joefishy »

I had a few exceptional days this past season fishing Atherton's #1s during Cahill hatches and #5s during Iso hatches. Thanks Mr. Atherton.

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

I love fishing Atherton patterns. There's been sort of a small rebirth of Atherton fly followers. I think I had made that statement in the Foreword to the new Atherton The Fly and the Fish reprint. (One of the biggest honors being asked by Atherton family to craft the Foreword. I was surprised that it was reprinted in hard copy, and not a paperback. Kudos to the publisher!)

By the way, many readers may have noticed quite a few errors and typos in the Maxine (wife) Atherton memoir-The Fly Fisher and the River: A Memoir that was published along side of the The Fly and the Fish reprint. John Atherton's granddaughter who was responsible for getting it published was also made aware, via readers, of those problems. We were all sort of puzzled. Apparently the publisher had not included the corrections/edits that were submitted back to the editors after the draft was combed for those sorts of issues! The publisher was recently made aware of this problem and to the delight of those of us involved with that title corrections are being made. They will be reflected in a subsequent second printing.

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

Atherton originals no's 1 thru 7.
Found at an estate sale at the house beside Atherton house on the Battenkill.A few here have seen them.

Tom

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

I’m a big Atherton fan-
Tom it would really be nice to start a new thread here on the board with close-ups of those seven original flies you have. I don’t think we’ve seen a good Atherton thread here in quite some time.

What say you ?

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

upstatetrout wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Found at an estate sale at the house beside Atherton house on the Battenkill.A few here have seen them.
Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

I'm with Dana--can we see closeups?

bb

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

I left clicked on the photo of the Atherton flies and it enlarged. Then I clicked on it again and got larger still.

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

I would be glad to show them.Unfortunately they are back home in NY and we are in our
Trailer here in BristolTenn..We will be returning in April .Perhaps there will be some interest then.
I mean after Hendricksons of course.I think that Darbee hackle and the flies of John
Atherton would be good topics of discussion.Perhaps at a guild meeting.Any body got any
Rube Cross flies ?.That would make for an interesting afternoon at the museum.Perhaps we could get Agnes to make BROWNIES.She told me she plans on returning to work the other
day just not on a full time basis.

Tom

ReelCatskillsJeff

Post by ReelCatskillsJeff »

I picked up a copy of The Fly and the Fish in the CFFCM Book Sale last Winter. I enjoyed the book and hope to get around to tying the flies someday.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

when I double click on the photo, all i get is a white screen that says "Bad Gateway"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any thoughts??
“Time to go fishing”

squish67

Post by squish67 »

I single, left clicked on the photo which worked, then left clicked on it again which enlarged it. The enlarged photo was blurry.

Good friend Wally owns Atherton's house now, and I have been there often. Took my stuff one time and tied some of Atherton's flies where he used to tie. Didn't know that was a bucket list item, but it was! He died two weeks before I was born. :cry: