new cross flies from my collection

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
ted patlen

new cross flies from my collection

Post by ted patlen »

cross green may.jpg
cross green may.jpg (91.82 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
cross lead wing dry.jpg
cross lead wing dry.jpg (94.13 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
just arrived, a lead wing coachman dry and a green may fly . the green may was listed as on a "long short hook" but i guess cross meant a long shank hook...

these flies were part of an order cross tied in 1949...he specified that he would tie them on allcocks 04991, sf, tde or equivalent. some of the other flies tied were bergman patterns, the fox R.B. for one so the long may fly hook just may be a bergman nyack brand, which was manufactured by a brit company, martinez and byrd.

i had a difficult time getting the coachman to sit on it's side when photographing it... the length of the tail fibers and their spread was as close to perfect as one can get. it balanced perfectly the gap at the head areas is longer than i've seen in period flies.

so raise your hands if you're jealous :D

enjoy

mikevalla

Re: new cross flies from my collection

Post by mikevalla »

....hands up... :D
Follow me on Twitter

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

mikevalla wrote:
....hands up... :D

Yea, 2 hands way up :D Thanks for sharing those with us Ted. CJ

ps...you 2 still tye a nicer fly though...even the fishing ones ;)
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Ted,

Very nice! Seeing the way flies were tyed "back in the day" is always very humbling. Thanks for the lesson.

Best,

Tim

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

My hand's up also... ;) I'm jealous... :mrgreen: Now Ted, when are you and I going to fish these flies on Hewitt's old water... :o :shock: :P that'd be the bomb... 8-)

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

only with 20LB test.

i've been using the coachman dry for the past few years , all months of the year and it has proved to be an effective go to fly. my flies are longer in body, pretty much the proortions of regular catskill dries and have thought it has a beetle like look from the bottom (and i can see the damn thing on the water!) but crosses bodies are very short and more beetle looking than i've been lead to believe...at least this batch of flies .

yo

dennis

Post by dennis »

....hands and feet up if I could :lol:

Very nice. Those examples certainly have the classic look of Cross's dry flies.

His unique way that he tilted up the tail fibers always fasinated me.

In his Complete Fly Tier, Cross discusses the issue of balance, and how we want to avoid a fly that lands nose down.

I have never seen pictures with tails extending straight out from the hook shank. Would like to see more.

Interesting as always! Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

Allan

Post by Allan »

Okay, I'm asking to be stoned for the heresy I'm about to spout. I don't think these two flies are good examples of the fantastic flies I've seen that were typical of the flies tyed by Cross. Realize that my comments are based on the photos. The body of the top green fly seems to start off unevenly large (tail end) and taper down toward the eye. Unusual for his mayfly flies. The tail on the Coachman seems to come out of the far side of the shank rather than on top of it.
If you want to call me picky, go ahead. It's just that I almost think of perfection when I consider Cross' flies.

Allan

dennis

Post by dennis »

Allan wrote:Okay, I'm asking to be stoned for the heresy I'm about to spout. I don't think these two flies are good examples of the fantastic flies I've seen that were typical of the flies tyed by Cross. Realize that my comments are based on the photos. The body of the top green fly seems to start off unevenly large (tail end) and taper down toward the eye. Unusual for his mayfly flies. The tail on the Coachman seems to come out of the far side of the shank rather than on top of it.
If you want to call me picky, go ahead. It's just that I almost think of perfection when I consider Cross' flies.

Allan
I will still call you Allan ;) But you do bring up some very good remarks on Cross's Flys

Dennis

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I dont/cant judge an individual fly by its looks to determine who tyed it. Some flies tyed by "the pro's" look like how we invision them, and others look less so. There are some Cross flies at the CFFCM, I think Mike used them in his book, and they are just perfect examples of a Catskill tyed fly. I am sure Rube tyed some that were maybe not as "perfect"? Dont we all? Time takes its toll on these things too, how they were stored, were they fished?

I thought the same as you Allan, the long shanked fly looks to be alot less Cross looking than I would imagine, but then I think of the Bergman flies I have seen, some just beautiful and others...not quite :shock:

I can be assured that Ted wouldn't post them as such unless they were the real deal, and maybe it shows another example of famous tyers being human. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"