Hewitt's Neversink Skater

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
viking

Re: Hewitt's Neversink Skater

Post by viking »

Here´s the fly Ralph gave me.

//Janne

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I recently received some exquisite spade hackle from Frank Audino, beautiful stuff that was from the material collection of Del Mazza. Frank also sent me a Skater tyed by Dell in the 80's, wanted to put a picture of it up for all to see, it is one heavily hackled dry fly!

This is tyed on a #12 hook, a Daiichi I believe. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

solitaryangle

Post by solitaryangle »

Hi guys, thought I would share this one, allegedly a Hewitt Skater. Not sure if it was tied by Ed or the Darbees...thoughts? My customer acquired all of his "Hewitt" flies directly from Chris Holmes, Jr. and has a notarized letter signed by Chris. As most of you know, the Holmes family (Chris Sr.) were caretakers for the Hewitt estate on the Neversink.
P1040326x.jpg
P1040326x.jpg (335.6 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
P1040485x.jpg
P1040485x.jpg (121.79 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Gary

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

why they used those little hooks is beyond me...maybe something to do with the gut leaders. i have a letter form hewitt to harry requesting skaters and other flies...if i can rmember i'll get around to post it. but going up the cape tonight for a g=few days so someone's gotta rememind me :D

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

I chanced upon a box of Mustad 3911c hooks in size 14, and decided--since I have the right hook--to tie some Hewitt/Darbee skaters--and found this thread. The one thing missing for me is the right hackle--and the images of the Collins spades that were discussed in this thread were removed--can someone post new images so I have a better sense of what I am looking for in terms of the correct hackle?

many thanks,
bb

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

The fly pictured was tied by Charlie Defeo, and I received it from him personally. It was given to me after I'd asked him about the skaters tied with hair hackle that I'd heard he tied. He did not tell me what kind of hair was used for this fly, but it looks for all the world as if it had been tied with a rooster feather. About the only tell-tale I can see is the relative unevenness of the tips of the fibers.
Eric

Here's a frontal view

A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

bearbutt wrote:I chanced upon a box of Mustad 3911c hooks in size 14, and decided--since I have the right hook--to tie some Hewitt/Darbee skaters--and found this thread. The one thing missing for me is the right hackle--and the images of the Collins spades that were discussed in this thread were removed--can someone post new images so I have a better sense of what I am looking for in terms of the correct hackle?

many thanks,
bb
I will post some hackle pictures Friday night Bearbutt...sorry for the lost images. CJ

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I bought a half dozen boxes of those 3911 hooks also, not a bad skater hook. I like skaters on up-eyed hooks but have learned that they were historically tied on down eyes too. Not just 4X short either!

The hackles in the photo are from Collins, he sells spade packs for $5.00. They are really nice, but set aside some time for sorting and sizing, he basically pulls the feathers off the birds in clumps and stuffs them in the bag. Lots of feathers of all kinds in there, but like I mentioned, your elbow deep in feathers looking for the best ones suitable for skaters. Joe also sells the spade packs, all sorted and ready for tying. CJ

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

CJ--

Thanks, these are exactly the sort of images I needed. My spades are clearly too 'spadish' and the trick here is to find spades that have almost flat tips--where the mid hackle fibers reach all the way to the tip end, or almost so.

A lot of the skaters posted here seem to have the hackle tied in from one direction--. In a 1988 issue of the Fly Fisherman, Ed Shenk has a tutorial where he suggests tying separate feathers in from two directions--so that they 'fold' together like your fingers do when you bring your hands together to twitter your thumbs--is this what you are doing here? Shenk also suggests putting cement on the tips of the hackle where they meet--I'm not so sure about doing that though....

Thanks,
bb

Allan

Post by Allan »

Speaking of Skaters and Spade hackles, Charlie bumped into me just yesterday and we even discussed this topic. He said that his spade feathers have barbs that are nowhere near the length what was used 'way back when'. Now you may come across the odd feather or two suitable for this purpose in a pack of his spades bags but don't count on it. Barnyard birds are the best source.. Now a comment of my own: You may find a rooster with long barbed feathers at a local farm that's for sale. Try about now while the feathers are still in their winter stage. In the summer try a County Farm Show but the feathers will be softer. Either way, you'll have to do the deed and 'dirty work'. What you get just depends on how badly you want that material.

Allan