Henryville Special

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
David S.

Henryville Special

Post by David S. » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:28 am

I found this neat caddis pattern in Eric Leiser's "The Dettes", it's also featured in Mike Valla's "The Classic Dry Fly Box", according to which it was invented by Hiram Brobst. To me at least this looks like a really promising pattern..

/David S.

Eperous

Re: Henryville Special

Post by Eperous » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:54 am

Eric Leiser also gives quite a bit of ink to this pattern in two other books of his: The Book of Fly Patterns & The Caddis and the Angler... it's a classic for sure with origins on the Henryville section of the Broadhead Creek in PA, as I'm sure you read... though I haven't tied/fished this dry fly in many years, it always caught fish when caddis were about...

Very nice tie David, keep 'em coming... :D

Ed

redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 am

It's one that's certainly stood the test of time. It's still widely available commercially, and I prefer it at times to an Elk Hair caddis. (I believe the only reason that the latter is more popular is that it's faster to tie.)
Bob

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:04 pm

It's popularity back in the late 60s was due IMO largely because it was a true caddis pattern when there were few, if any, other popular caddis patterns. It predates the Elkhair as well as all of the Solomon/Leiser/Neff patterns that came a decade later. In the Catskills in that era, Ernie Maltz was undoubtedly fishing caddis patterns, but to no one's surprise, he had no desire to see them popularized.:-)

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Waterwolf

Post by Waterwolf » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Love this pattern for fishing and nicely tied here too... where I fish in CT it sometimes has an edge over the elk hair caddis which many throw...

Cheers (PS - new to the forum though I know many of you here....)
Lee

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Lee and welcome.

David,

It's a great pattern.
Do you think this fly looks or fishes better with the wings down?

Allan

David S.

Post by David S. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Eperous wrote:Eric Leiser also gives quite a bit of ink to this pattern in two other books of his: The Book of Fly Patterns & The Caddis and the Angler... it's a classic for sure with origins on the Henryville section of the Broadhead Creek in PA, as I'm sure you read... though I haven't tied/fished this dry fly in many years, it always caught fish when caddis were about...

Very nice tie David, keep 'em coming... :D

Ed
Thanks Ed, it sure looks like a tasty pattern to me, I have no doubts it will be effective. I fish a lot of caddis imitations, most a lot simpler in construction than this one but few that are as pretty :)
/David S.

David S.

Post by David S. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Allan wrote:Hi Lee and welcome.

David,

It's a great pattern.
Do you think this fly looks or fishes better with the wings down?

Allan
Interesting question Allan. As this is only the second one I've ever tied and we are in the midst of winter in Sweden I haven't had a chance to try it out. I've seen pictures of ones with the point of the wings turned the other way and I guess that orientation would possibly give the fly a more natural silhouette against the sky. I must admit I was somewhat influenced by Mike Valla's pretty picture of the pattern in his "Classic Dry Fly Box" when I tied mine, but I will try a few tied "point down" next.
/David S.

eaustin

Post by eaustin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:33 am

Coincidentally, I use this fly all the time. Other than Hans CDC and Elk it's my go-to pattern for Caddis. I have better luck it seems with Hans fly out West, and the Henryville in the East, especially Pa. My first exposure to it was on a trip to Yellow Creek. A caddis landed on my finger and looked just like a Henryville Special to my, so I put one on. The results were amazing. It works great here in Ohio too. Very nice version by the way, well done!
Eric

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:38 am

eaustin wrote: A caddis landed on my finger and looked just like a Henryville Special to me, so I put one on. The results were amazing.
Dont you wish it always happened as easily as that? :lol:

That's a nice tye Dave, real nice. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"