The dry flies of Art Flick

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
catskilljohn

The dry flies of Art Flick

Post by catskilljohn »

I have always been of the opinion that armed with only the selection given in Flick's Streamside Guide you could happily fish the waters of the Catskills from spring to fall and have the same sport as anyone.

I have been tying up a few sets of these, and while none of these are strangers in this site, its good to go back to basics sometimes :D

My favorite of them all the Dun Variant. I have been dancing this fly on Catskill streams for years. Flick tyed it to imitate the Isonychia, but for a searching pattern it does great work. I make them a little bigger in the hackle and tail than ones you find in the bins at flyshops, and I feel like they are a little more versatile that way.

More to come... CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

SgtMajUSMC

Re: The dry flies of Art Flick

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Well done, as always, John.

Where did you find the nice hackles? Tough stuff to find, I like to use Charlie Collins' tailing for them.

Best,

Tim

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Thanks Tim!

Those are Metz hackles [3 of them] and Charlie spade for the tail. I use just the very tips of the hackle, where the barbs are best and the stem thinnest. There still not the blood letting barbs we all desire, but plenty stiff with 3 of them. CJ

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

catskilljohn wrote:I have always been of the opinion that armed with only the selection given in Flick's Streamside Guide you could happily fish the waters of the Catskills from spring to fall and have the same sport as anyone. ...
CJ, I recall reading Art's book many times over before finally meeting him... his little book had a very simple message: simplicity in patterns, and not the need for lots of different flies... I would agree with your statement above 110%... nicely tied...

Ed

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

CJ, excellent! What size hook did you use? I am trying to judge the length of the hackle you used.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

wiFlyFisher wrote:CJ, excellent! What size hook did you use? I am trying to judge the length of the hackle you used.

Johnny, #12- 94837, fine wire, short shank, great vfor these high floaters ;) Thanks man, CJ

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

John has made a good hook choice.

The Mustad 94837 is also my hook of choice for Flick's variant patterns. I've also tied them on regular 94840's---but you can't beat the fine wire 94837's (they are 3X fine wire hooks).

For some reason, John's hook on his fly above looks a tad shorter than my 94837's ? My 94837's used here came out of an old cardboard Mustad box---but I don't know what era?

Grey Fox Variant
Follow me on Twitter

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

The 3rd big hackled fly in Streamside Guide, the Cream Variant...

CJ

solitaryangle

Post by solitaryangle »

You guys are amazing....thanks for posting these!

Gary

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Speaking of Flick Variants flies.....

I never could quite understand why Art said that his little Blue-Winged Olive is "actually a Dun Variant, but with an olive body."

> The two patterns, side by side, seem so different to make that comparison.

The Blue-Winged Olive

The Dun Variant--with it's extremely long hackle

Another thing that I suppose further supports my statements that tiers often evolved/altered/changed materials and tying methods---The thread.
Flick listed Olive Silk in his Blue-Winged Olive dressing. Now, don't get too anal-esc :lol: about your tying silk shades.

The Blue-Wing Olive below, tied by Art himself (I've focused in on the head here, to make my point) was tied with Black thread. I know he tied it, because it was sent with a letter by Art.

Art's Thread on a Blue-Winged Olive

And speaking of Flick fly heads

I made a point in Tying Catskill-Style Dry Flies that Art didn't use a turle knot space (the tiny clean area of hook shank just behind the hook eye---for those here not familiar with that feature). If you see that little space on a Flick-tied fly---it's just because he ended short on his tie -off near the hook eye.

Art tied his flies with full heads---what I called Bullet Shaped Heads. However, I like tying my patterns with the turle-knot space. No need to get too anal-esc here either :lol:

Bullet Shaped Head on a Art-tied Cream Variant

And notice, by the way, his cream hackle shades were not almost white as you sometimes see out there------his cream---and all of our "cream" flies---back a few decades--had what is almost a "yellowish" off-white shade---it had sort of a yellowish tint ).

"Cream"---in the "old days" was Cream. Not that white hackle crap you see labeled today. Leiser had Cream pretty accurately described:

"An off-white with a yellowish eggshell cast to it," as Eric wrote.

Follow me on Twitter